BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris FX 9.2 - Exists any "3D Model" mode for 3D Container ?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David EspBoris FX 9.2 - Exists any "3D Model" mode for 3D Container ?
by on Jun 28, 2009 at 5:48:43 pm

I have Boris FX 9.2.1, is there any way to get the 3D container to provide a "3D Model" mode?

In Chris Vadnais's book "Instant Boris Effects", page 83, it shows the 3D container as having a setting for "Renderer", which can be "2D Composite" (the default?), "Z Space Composite" or "3D Model". However in my BorisFX (as opposed to Boris RED etc) project, there is no "Renderer" option amongst the 3D Container's controls.

Is it that this feature is omitted from BorisFX (as opposed to RED etc.) ? I have always been confused about exactly how the various Boris products differ.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris FX 9.2 - Exists any "3D Model" mode for 3D Container ?
by on Jun 29, 2009 at 1:25:14 pm

Hi David,

Here's a breakdown of the Boris FX product line:

RED = custom UI - compositing, keying, titling and special effects integrated and standalone application
FX = custom UI - compositing, keying and special effects ... subset of RED
Graffiti = custom UI - titling ... subset of RED
Blue = custom UI - 3D titling and special effects integrated and standalone application. hardware accelerated
BCC = host UI - compositing, keying, titling and special effects plug-ins
FEC = host UI - compositing and special effects plug-ins

FX, being a subset of RED, does not include the 3D Model render option. You need RED for that.

There is more in-depth information available on the company web site at borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

David EspRe: Boris FX 9.2 - Exists any "3D Model" mode for 3D Container ?
by on Jun 30, 2009 at 10:10:31 am

Many thanks Peter.

The "Venn Diagram" for the product range has never been that obvious to me, having little experience of them, so your clarification is helpful.

I see there is a "Product Matrix" at http://www.borisfx.com/products/matrix.php, but that does not make it clear to a newbie at least that 3D Modelling is absent from Boris FX's 3D Container. The matrix does show that Boris FX has "3D Containers", "Tumble, Spin and Rotate in 3D Space", "Particle system and 3D particles", "3D Shapes including cubes, spheres and cylinders", "High-quality 3D DVE". To a newbie like me, that sounds like it does 3D generally. The Matrix does not include a row for "3D Modelling Capability..." (or "3D Arrangement...") "...in 3D Container".

I found a RED/BLUE overview-comparison at a well-known retail website (name suggestive of colour subsampling) to give a good overall flavour, because in it lists at overview level what RED and BLUE don't do as well as what they do do, hence (ignoring the possibility of unknown unknowns) one can quickly grasp their relative advantages. For the benefit of anyone else coming to this thread, I could list it here if that was OK with the forum rules.

Looks like its RED that I need.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris FX 9.2 - Exists any "3D Model" mode for 3D Container ?
by on Jun 30, 2009 at 1:30:01 pm

Hi David,

I'm glad that helped to clarify the differences between the many products that we create at Boris FX. And thank you for your comments regarding the site - it's something that is constantly undergoing revision to add features or clarify the differences between products. Your feedback will help us to improve our site, which will help everyone who visits the site for information regarding which product is best suited for their current needs.

REgarding publishing content from other sites on this forum ... we (Boris FX) have no issue with that but it's probably best to check with Ron or Kathlyn at the Cow before posting the link.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]