Generating countdown with timecode
by Duane Fulk on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:31:40 pm
I have been trying to generate a countdown from 30:00 to 0:00 using the text generater effect. I go to text and hit the generate tab, then select timecode. In the start minute window I put 30 and for interpolation I select deceleration. The numbers in the timeline start to decrease as they should but then they start to climb up and down in a somewhat random fasion never reaching 0:00 at the end. Any ideas why the countdown doesn't go from 30:00 to 0:00 with this set up? Is there another setting I should be using or is there another way to generate a countdown from 30:00 to 0:00? Thanks for your help.
Re: Generating countdown with timecode by peter mcauley on Jun 18, 2009 at 3:47:22 pm
The Timecode generator is incapable of generating numbers in reverse, only forward. I suggest using the Numbers option instead, as this allows for a countdown style effect.
And here's how to set it up:
• create a title track
• select the face of the title track
• select the generator tab in the controls window
• set the generator type to numbers
• go to the start of the timeline
• set the value that you want the countdown to start with
• set the interpolation to linear
• go to the end of the timeline
• set the value for the end number of the countdown
Alternately, you can stick with the Timecode option, render the clip and the import the clip and reverse the timing. Remember to set the keyframe interpolation to linear and not decelerate.