BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Red 4.3.1 Crashing (Peter Mcauley are you a boris tech?)

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike AllenRed 4.3.1 Crashing (Peter Mcauley are you a boris tech?)
by on Jun 6, 2009 at 1:46:26 am

Well I asked a question on 4-29-09 about problems with Boris Red 4.3.1 and the ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card in a new MacPro? Peter Mcauley said that he was unaware of any problems or conflicts with the current version of RED (4.3.2)and the 4870. However, it is crashing after you attempt to do anything. Will there be any updates for this in the future. Also, will I have problems with the Boris title effects that comes packaged with FCP 6.0.5? I there anything I can do. Also, is there a 4.3.2 and what improvements did it make? Any help will be very much appreciated. If I had known of these problems I would have ordered a different card.

Mike

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Red 4.3.1 Crashing (Peter Mcauley are you a boris tech?)
by on Jun 6, 2009 at 2:35:18 pm

Mike,

Peter McAuley is one of the Product Managers here at Boris FX. He is a frequent poster at our Cow forums which shows our commitment to Cow and to our users in general. Sorry that your question remained unanswered for so long. These types of issues are better dealt with via our customer support lines which you are as the owner of Boris Red 4 is perfectly entitled to. To open a support case please email to support@borisfx.com or telephone at 1-888-77-BORIS. My first impression is that your card should be supported and you may have other installation issues.

To answer your question about Boris Calligraphy which is bundled with Final Cut 6, it should not depend on the graphics card at all as long as the card is approved for Final Cut

I hope this helps

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Mike AllenRe: Red 4.3.1 Crashing (Peter Mcauley are you a boris tech?)
by on Jun 6, 2009 at 5:24:22 pm

I called the number you gave me and got an automated message. I left a voice mail. Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that you thought the card should be supported. However,when I launch Boris Red a message comes up that says "STATUS: Your systems video card model is not supported by Boris Red." I have the ATI 4870. The other things connected are a Kona LHi (which is a new card by AJA) and I also have a Caldigit HD One connected as well to a new 8 core Mac Pro. Is there anything else I should do besides run the 4.3.1 update after installing Red 4.0, because that is all I did. Everything is a clean install on a brand new machine. When it launches, it does say that it is indeed 4.3.1 If there is a process online that I can read, I can follow instructions pretty well. This is very frustrating, the old mac had no problems with the Boris software. I also posted this question over a month ago before ordering the new machine and Peter Mcauley said that it would be fine, but now that I have it installed it says that the card is not supported. I am just looking for some help, I can not be the only person this is happening to. Again, brand new machine, clean install.

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2009 at 5:41:56 pm

Also, I forgot to mention that I get the "A component of your system has been detected which is not officially supported by Boris Red for open GL accelerated previews. The Open GL state will default to off, but may be re enabled from the preferences or preview menu. I get this along with the Status: Your systems video card model is not supported by Boris Red. Just attempting to give you all the info associated with my problem. Hope you can help me find a solution.

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2009 at 6:26:05 pm

One other small comment. The ATI 4870 card I ordered with the Mac Pro is the top of the line "standard" card on the Apple website. This is what many video editors will order with there new high performance systems. This is not some "off the wall card" and if Boris is not supporting it, I feel it may loose some loyal customers. I enjoy the Boris family of products and I hope this is not the case. Please help me find a solution that will allow me to continue to use your products with my current standard Mac hardware.

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:33:40 pm

Any comments from Boris on my last 3 posts?

Mike

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Red 4.3.1 Crashing (Peter Mcauley are you a boris tech?)
by on Jun 8, 2009 at 7:45:06 pm

Hi Mike,

From what I understand, our tech support gurus were able to assist you in eliminating the crashing problem by upgrading your version of RED from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2, so your system should now be stable. If this is not the case please feel free to email me directly at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:39:49 pm

They did contact me about attempting the 4.3.2 update trial version. No 4.3.2 patch available for some reason. I will respond when I find out if it works. Thanks for the help, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2009 at 1:50:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Please let me know if this solves the problem for you.

The reason it was released as a full product installer instead of a patch is so that we can eliminate the need for a multi-download for newer customers to rev up to the latest version.

And as an FYI, we've just uploaded a new installer for this product, version 4.3.3.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2009 at 2:14:54 pm

Thanks for staying on top of this problem for me. The 4.3.2 "trail" install does seem to have stopped the crashing problem for the moment. I will talk to tech support today about the 4.3.3 update.

I will keep you informed as I learn more. Thank you very much for your help.

Mike

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2009 at 3:15:06 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm very glad to hear that the upgrade eliminated the crashes and stabilized your workstation.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2009 at 2:13:36 am

All is well now as long as I run in safe RT in FCP. Thanks for all the help with my problem.

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]