BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED 3.0.4 Motion Blur/Motion Tracker

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pankow
RED 3.0.4 Motion Blur/Motion Tracker
on May 11, 2009 at 5:17:30 pm

I've created tracking data and put it into a title track, but cannot get motion blur to activate despite turning everything on. This is text tracking onto a sign that whip pans from off screen to a halt center frame. Nesting all of this in a Precomp or 3D Container with motion blur on doesn't appear to help any.

I can use the text track's own DVE to push it off screen and get the desired motion blur look, but there are a few slight vertical bumps that the motion tracker is better suited to deal with than me trying to manually keyframe it all. What am I missing?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: RED 3.0.4 Motion Blur/Motion Tracker
on May 11, 2009 at 7:34:57 pm

Hi Steve,

You need to be sure to set the following to have motion blur on the text that is being controlled by the motion tracker filter:

• click on the text track and enable motion blur in the control panel
• click on the container track and enable motion blur in the control panel
• with the container track selected, set the "Apply Motion Blur To" Container, Faces and Filters

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on May 11, 2009 at 9:46:32 pm

I had all of that set. The blur didn't kick on until I changed the shutter angle from the default 180 all the way up to 360. Is that standard behavior?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 12, 2009 at 1:15:32 pm

Hmmm ... well I guess it is at least somewhat dependent on the speed of the object. What platform are you on?

Thanks,

P.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on May 12, 2009 at 4:28:12 pm

WinXP XW8000 dual 3gHz with Quadro4 980XGL and MCA 2.2.10. I'm running this comp through Red standalone.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 12, 2009 at 4:30:54 pm

Could you please send me the RED project ... I'll open it and take a look to see if I can better understand the reason behind what you are seeing. My email is peterm@borisfx.com. If it's more than a couple of MB then you'll have to use an FTP utility, such as yousendit, which is free for files under 100 MB.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on May 13, 2009 at 2:00:33 pm

Hi Steve,

I just opened the comp that you sent me in RED standalone on Windows XP and noted that the Smoothness pop-up for Motion Blur was set to Medium, wihch does not generate a photo-real result. I changed it to High on both tracks and the result looks good to me. Can you please try that and let me know if this solves the problem on your system?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on May 13, 2009 at 10:59:25 pm

Changing the smoothness to High on the "Kalidescope" track does improve the smoothness. Changing it on the "Kalidescope MT" track shows no difference when parked on frame 18. In fact, changing the shutter from 250 to the default 180 makes the blur go away entirely.

I'd prefer just to use a single text track with a motion tracker to match the pan of the sign, but the motion blur just doesn't look right. That's why I tracked the text by hand in the "Kalidescope" track up until frame 18 where then I could let the "MT" track pop on and track any remaining camera movements since the pan was nearly done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]