BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Is there a problem with Boris Red and the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Is there a problem with Boris Red and the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 1:25:05 pm

Is there a problem with Boris Red and the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card in a new MacPro? I read a post on the cow where someone said there was problems. Can someone confirm if there are any problems with Boris Red 3 and the new macpro's or the new HD 4870 please.

Mike

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Is there a problem with Boris Red and the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 4:40:52 pm

Hi,

While we do our best to keep up with the latest cards and drivers from ATI and Nvidia, and are unaware of any problems or conflicts with the current version of RED (4.3.2), you are using RED 3, which is several years old at this stage. I would like to suggest that you download RED 4.3.2 and see if this works better for you.

Please bear in mind that RED 3 was never designed to be used on the current line of MacPro systems, as the Intel based Macs were not in production at that time. RED 3 was designed for the current systems at the time of the RED 3 release, which was on the Apple platform the PowerPC chip set with up to and including Mac OS 10.4.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
Re: Is there a problem with Boris Red and the new ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB Graphics Card?
on Apr 28, 2009 at 9:08:06 pm

Sorry, I meant RED 4.3.2 By the way, I am not having problems now. However, I am going to update to a new macpro soon and had read a post where someone thought the 4870 was giving them problems with Red. If that were the case I might consider getting a different card in the new mac that I am about to order.

So I guess the answer to my question is that there are no known issues.

I do have one more question. In the new version of FCP and Red, is there better integration. Currently, I have to apply boris in FCP, park the cti over the area where I want a transition, then access options (i think) in the viewer window to launch boris to find a transition.

I guess, I am asking if there is a way to apply boris filters and/or transitions from within FCP without having to launch boris every time. I am just curious because that is the only way I know how to accomplish this with the older system I have now. I am hoping there might be some improvements with the new version or FCP and Red 4.3.2

Mike

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 29, 2009 at 2:19:49 pm

Hi,

So regarding the generation of Boris transitions in FCP ... if you're using RED then the workflow that you describe remains the only option. If you're using BCC, which uses the FCP interface, then you (obviously) don't need to launch another application to customize the transition. We're also working on some new transitions (BCE) that will be included in the BCC 6 FxPlug release that you might enjoy using. You can download and try the public beta version of this software for free. It is available on our website here http://www.borisfx.com/fxplug_public_beta.php

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]