BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Can I use my BCC5 (or 6) filters in Red?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter toursCan I use my BCC5 (or 6) filters in Red?
by on Apr 22, 2009 at 2:37:49 pm

I just got BCC5 filters for my FCP timeline and am wondering if I can use them inside Red as I see there are already may BCC filters there. And if I can do it, how do I do it? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Can I use my BCC5 (or 6) filters in Red?
by on Apr 24, 2009 at 9:08:22 pm

Hi,

Congratulations on your new purchase of the BCC 5 FxPlug filters for FCP. And you're using RED too ... that's great. You have a very powerful set of tools at your disposal.

So ... to answer your question regarding using the FxPlug filters in RED. The answer is that this is not possible because RED uses the After Effects API to read filters and the FxPlug filters use Apples FxPlug API to read filters. These API's are totally different and not cross compatible. RED would need BCC 6 AE and not BCC FxPlug or BCC AVX. If you had BCC AE 6 then you could install these into Boris RED and use them in the FCP timeline or standalone in the RED Engine.

I'd also like to mention that if you purchased the filters after we made the announcement of the BCC 5 FxPlug filters then you may be eligible for a free upgrade to BCC 6 FxPlug when it becomes available in the next few weeks. You should place a call or send an email into the BorisFX sales department to see if you are indeed eligible for the free upgrade. The upgrade is huge - many new filters and all of them are faster.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter toursRe: Can I use my BCC5 (or 6) filters in Red?
by on Apr 24, 2009 at 10:33:23 pm

I had to have a little laff before I could write this. Lemme get this straight, I can use the BCC filters in AE (I have 8) but I can't use them in Red standalone or in the timeline. Kinda funny really. I guess I can work around all that.

My daughter bought me BCC5 about 4 weeks ago thru Academic Superstore but they were shipped directly from Boris. Who should I contact about upgading?? I really wanna get to know the 3D Perspective filter!

Thanks for the education. Cheers!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 24, 2009 at 10:41:15 pm

Perhaps I misunderstood ... I thought you only had BCC FxPlug but if you have BCC AE (which apparently you seem to) and are able to use them in AE then you can use the installer that you have for AE to install into RED. Just select custom from the installer and pick the Library/Application Support/BorisPlugins folder and you should be good to go. The filters will show up in RED both as standalone and plugged into FCP.

I hope this information helps - please let me know how you make out.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2009 at 1:35:06 am

Ok, I think I confused the issue. I have always had Boris Red, back to my M100 days. It's my favorite tool. I bought the BCC5 filters mostly because I needed the glitter tool (not the free one) and I needed it right then. So since I don;t usually have AE, I bought 5, not AE version for the FCP timeline.

Then later it occurred to me perhaps I could use the BCC 5 stuff in Red and you kindly told me why I couldn't. I can live with that.

But if I understand you, if I open Red in AE8 the BCC5 filters can be used there??? That's where you lost me. I can use Red in AE if I have to, not biggie, and it might get me to use more AE.

Lastly, I bought BCC5 on March 17 - do you know what the cutoff is to get a comp upgrade? I have sent BFX a number of emails asking how much the upgrade will be as my TNB is almost over but no answer.

Thanks for all your insight. Do you work for BFX?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2009 at 2:41:09 am

Hi Peter,

So ... RED includes with BCC 4 filters preinstalled. You can use them from within RED in the FCP or the AE timeline from within the RED application.

You say that you purchased BCC 5 AE on the 17th of march ... I think this means that you should be eligible for the free upgrade to BCC 6 but I'm not 100 percent certain on that - that's a question for someone in sales to clarify. I'll check into that for you and let you know what they have to say on Monday.

BCC 6 AE will plug-into RED and also can be used in the FCP or AE timeline. And of course you can use the BCC 6 filters in the RED standalone engine.

And yes, I work for Boris FX - I'm a Senior Product Manager at the company and have been there for 10 years. :)

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 25, 2009 at 3:48:34 pm

I am sorry to continue to confuse in my description. My fault. Besides Red 4.3.1, which is upgraded several times since Red 2, I own Continuum Complete 5 FXPlug, purchased on 3/17/09.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]