BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

I am trying the trial version - cannot export video

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sven I. NilsenI am trying the trial version - cannot export video
by on Mar 30, 2009 at 9:46:02 pm

Hi, I really do not understand how to save the resulting video out to disk when experimenting with the Boris FX trial version.
When using it in Sony Vegas, as a plug in, there at least is an "Apply changes" button, but in the stand alone version I cannot find it.

So - I have tested Boris FX and turned it in and out and upside down and like what I see. But if I cannot render / save the edited video out, I cannot use this application.

What am I missing?
I see no "Export video as", "Render video as", "Save video as" etc.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: I am trying the trial version - cannot export video
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 12:46:51 pm

Hi Sven,

Boris FX and Boris Graffiti do not include the ability to export video from the standalone application - all rendering must be done from within the host environment. If you need to export video outside of the host timeline then you should consider using either Boris RED or Boris Blue, both of which can be used as a plug-in or in standalone mode with full rendering capabilities.

Any settings that you generate with Boris FX or Boris Graffiti can be rendered out to disc using Boris RED in standalone mode. There is a trial version of Boris RED available for free download at http://www.borisfx.com

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sven I. NilsenRe: I am trying the trial version - cannot export video
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 1:11:12 pm

- all rendering must be done from within the host environment

If I only knew how to do it!
When used inside Sony Vegas, I only get one single frame to work with. How do I scrub the time line with one frame?? Of course I can not.

So the question is, how can I apply the stabilizer filter on a clip inside Vegas? And set key frames? And render the final result in Vegas again?

1) How can I at all use Boris FX with Vegas?
2) What is the point of the stand-alone version when there is no possibility to save the resulting wortk to disk (the video)?

Any clarification is most appreciated, it is obvious that I am missing something here.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
peter mcauleyRe: I am trying the trial version - cannot export video
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 4:11:18 pm

Ah yes, well some filters are suitable for use in the Vegas environment, while others are not. Anything that requires the filter to fetch data from alternate frames in time will be a problem in Vegas because the Vegas API does not provide the filter any image data but the current parked-on frame. Thus the Optical Stabilizer filter will not be as usable in Vegas as it would be in FCP/AE/P Pro etc.

The alternative ... export the video from Vegas to the desktop, import into Boris RED, stabilize the clip and render to the desktop, then reimport the stabilized result into Vegas.

The idea of being able to use the FX and Graffiti application in standalone mode is that you can create a settings / project file on a lower powered system "off-line" from the main editing system. Then, when you are ready to use the effect that you created "off-line" you simply apply the effect to the clip in the Vegas timeline and then load the saved setting / project file within the Graffiti / FX session and apply the effect back to the host timeline for rendering.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sven I. NilsenRe: I am trying the trial version - cannot export video
by on Mar 31, 2009 at 7:02:44 pm

Peter,

moooooh, you got five cows for this, it helped. In fact, it seems like I do not need Boris Red at all right now. I can do what I want in at last two ways:

1) Like you describe, use the FX stand-alone and load the video, add filters, then export the various key frame settings. Fire up Vegas, add Boris FX, from the Boris menu invoke "Insert settings" - it seems like this is the way to go. I must experiment more.

2) Work entirely inside Vegas, but as the filter medium I can load an external video file (with the same aspect ratio /fps etc as the Vegas clip I am editing.

One thing I like about the Boris FX Vegas plug in is that it fully takes advantage of my muliple monitors setup. So, so far it seems I can use Boris FX with Vegas, with a couple of workarounds and tricks.

Sven

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]