BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Can I use DJ Fonts in AE with Blue or BCC 6?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Foehse
Can I use DJ Fonts in AE with Blue or BCC 6?
on Mar 19, 2009 at 6:54:26 pm

Hello,

I am looking for a way to use DJ Fonts (basically predefined letter-images) as 3D-objects while maintaining the text property.
E.g. bring them into AE as graphics, turn them into 3D and then do text-on-path or the like.
I guess I might do that for each single letter but instaed I would like to do it for the whole text at once.

Is that possible with Blue, BCC 6 or any other Boris product?

Thanx a lot!

Christian

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Can I use DJ Fonts in AE with Blue or BCC 6?
on Mar 20, 2009 at 6:15:55 pm

Hi,

Yes, you should be able to do that with both Blue and BCC 6. The difference is that BCC 6 will enable you to use the AE interface controls, thereby reducing the time needed to generate the effect. You can download the demos for free from http://www.borisfx.com and use them for 14 days without any watermark. After the 14 day trial is over, the filters will render with a watermark over the comp window, which disappears once you purchase a key to unlock the software.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Christian Foehse
on Mar 20, 2009 at 9:52:39 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your post.

The question now is: How do I do it?

The problem I see is that I import the text as one graphic. I can use masks and such to tell AE (or BCC 6) about the outline of the entire text. Then I can extrude that.
But how do I get AE to understand that there are individual letters in this one object? And to line them up for e.g. text-on-path?

Anxiously awaiting your reply;-)

Thanx!

Christian

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 20, 2009 at 10:32:20 pm

Hi Christian,

So this "DJ" font is a real font, right? At least this was my assumption when I responded to your post. Can you please let me know if this is the case? if it's not a true font and is a graphic of some sort then this will have a different workflow to an extruded text on path effect.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Christian Foehse
on Mar 20, 2009 at 11:31:47 pm

Hi Peter,

Well, DJ Fonts are NOT real fonts I am afraid.

You type your text in their own editor - the Juicer - and then it will be converted to a PS-file with either the entire text or just single letters on one layer. These letters will have a texture of your choice (actually that's what DJ Fonts are all about).
So what you get is just one or more graphics.

I understand that you can probably easily extrude them if they are not moving.

My question is: How about when you want to move these "graphics"? And of course keep the one specific texture for each letter in place?!

Ok, your turn again;-)

Christian

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 21, 2009 at 12:22:00 am

Hey Christian,

Ahhh .. OK, I understand now. So if they are graphics, then we can extrude then using RED or BLUE via the Extruded Vector Trace tool. :) BCC 6 won't work for that.

If you import the files as graphics into one of these programs you can trace the edges of the graphic, and then extrude it. The animation can be controlled on a letter by letter basis or as a group, if you place the extruded files into a container. You can then animate all of the objects along a custom path shape.

I think there is a tutorial for this on our web site - I remember writing it a couple of years ago actually. Here's one for the vector trace:

http://www.borisfx.com/red/vector_trace/Vect%20trace.html

and here's one for the motion path:

http://www.borisfx.com/red/motion_path/MotPath.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

P.

Return to posts index

Christian Foehse
on Mar 22, 2009 at 8:45:31 pm

Hi Peter,

I see we are getting somewhere;-)

Final questions:

If I can do it in Blue Stand-alone - can I then also do it in the AE plugin?

Is it possible to import these extrusions (done with Red or Blue) into AE to process them with AE default effects or BCC6 or even the Blue-plugin?

Frankly I do not want to have to learn a new interface (Red or Blue stand-alone) - AE is hard enough...

Thanks!

Christian

P.S. The "Overview of Blue 2.5 in Adobe AE" doesn't work:-(

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 24, 2009 at 3:56:41 pm

Hi Christian,

Glad to be of assistance. :)

"If I can do it in Blue Stand-alone - can I then also do it in the AE plugin?"

Yes, Blue works equally well as plug-in or standalone and there are, for all intents, no differences between the plug-in and standalone application feature set.

"Is it possible to import these extrusions (done with Red or Blue) into AE to process them with AE default effects or BCC6 or even the Blue-plugin? "

The way to do that would be to render out Quicktime or AVI files, then import the rendered clips into AE and treat them with the AE plug-in effects.

"Frankly I do not want to have to learn a new interface (Red or Blue stand-alone) - AE is hard enough...
"

That's quite understandable and is the reason for the existence of the BCC 6 3D Objects product.

"The "Overview of Blue 2.5 in Adobe AE" doesn't work"

Do you mean that the trial version of Blue 2.5 that is currently available on our web site is not working?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Christian Foehse
on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:11:12 pm

Hi Peter,

That's good news:-)

"Overview of Blue 2.5 in Adobe AE" is the movie clip you have linked on your site for demo purposes (Don't remember exactly where it was). Unfortunately it doesn't lead anywhere:-(

Best Regards

Christian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]