BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

AE plugs in RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hanish
AE plugs in RED
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:59:02 pm

How does one go about using After Effects plug ins inside RED? Getting RED to see the plugs? And which filters are compatible? It seems to me I have seen a list somewhere but can't find it.
Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Michael Hanish
Free Lunch

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: AE plugs in RED
on Jan 28, 2009 at 1:37:35 pm

Hi Michael,

RED 4 can be installed into After Effects - just select the AE host target in the RED installer window, the work of placing all of the necessary files into the right place on your system is taken care of automatically.

None of the native filters that are in AE can be used in anything but AE, including RED, however Boris RED comes with about 200 filter effects of it's own. RED can also use many 3rd party AE filter, whether RED is being used as a plug-in to AE or used in standalone mode. The listing of the compatible 3rd party plug-ins can be viewed here: http://www.borisfx.com/products/supported_filters.php

There are many free tutorials available on the BorisFX web site, which you may access by going to http://www.borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Michael Hanish
on Jan 28, 2009 at 1:52:02 pm

Thanks Peter. That list is what I was looking for. And what is the best way to install or reference these filters for RED? Make an Alias?

BTW, I find RED's filters fantastic, just wanted access to a few things I use in AE for when I use RED as part of Media100.

Thanks again,

Michael

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jan 28, 2009 at 2:01:23 pm

Hi Michael,

I'm glad that helped. Yes, definitely use an alias to bring the filter from AE into RED - that should work just fine. And I should also mention that if the filter that you need is not on this list then just give it a shot anyway - it can't hurt to try.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]