BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

backdrops

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Axel Andy
backdrops
on Dec 27, 2008 at 5:06:52 pm

Using Red 3.04..
When I make a backdrop track for, say, a title, I am unable to adjust the height & width of the backdrop. It always comes out too wide for my text, yet not quite tall enough. I would think that the "shape" tab would let me change the shape but no matter what I change (left, top, right, bottom) nothing happens to the backdrop. these controls only effect the border.

Also - how do I look up something from the Archives and only get results for Boris FX or Red? I tried to find backdrop info in the archives but couldn't seem to get what I was looking for.

K

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
Re: backdrops
on Dec 27, 2008 at 11:14:49 pm

Hi K,

To change the size of the text backdrop, first you must reveal the text track sub-tracks by clicking on the triangle at the far left of the track. Then click on the "Face" sub-track that appears in the timeline window. Then, in the controls window, scroll to the backdrop tab by clicking on the arrow at the top left of the controls window. Click on the backdrop tab to access the controls and then use the scale x and y parameter controls to adjust the size of the backdrop or use the shift x and y parameter controls to reposition the backdrop.

There is a Help menu available right from within the application - just click on Help and select one of the options.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Dec 27, 2008 at 11:18:43 pm

And I almost forgot to mention that if you click on the Backdrop sub-track in the timeline then you can change the shape of the backdrop graphic from the default rectangle to one of several included pre-made shapes, such as a star or an arrow.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Axel Andy
on Dec 28, 2008 at 5:04:05 pm

Hi Peter...
I think my system is just buggy. I couldn't find the tab that gave me the choice to change the x & y scale for the backdrop tab....until I changed my shape track from a 3-d plane to something else. Then the x/y choice appeared. When I re-booted everything worked fine. My copy/past KF parameter issue continues. For now, I can copy & paste a kf's parameters only if I do so by using the "right click" function. The only time a keyboard shortcut will work to copy & past kf parameters is when the kf being copied is in the "hold" parameter. Another buggy issue is when I try to click in the box that actually holds the parameter numbers. Sometimes I can click & click and nothing happens; then I have to use the slider to change the parameters which can be a pain. Even so....I think this program is great and some day I'll be able to upgrade everything.

Thaks -
K

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Dec 29, 2008 at 1:55:23 am

Hi K,

It's possible that sometimes the UI for the numeric entry boxes does not display the highlighted state but it should function and as you mentioned you can always make the change via the slider bar. I wonder if there is an issue with the preference file that could be causing your problems - sometimes deleting this file and allowing the system to start fresh can make some of these quirks disappear. Have you tried deleting the applications preference file? If not this might be worth a shot.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]