BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris Red moves like molasses in winter....

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Willis
Boris Red moves like molasses in winter....
on Dec 15, 2008 at 4:37:05 am

Hello.

I am new to Boris Red. I watched the Chris Vadnais video, and read some of the Instant Boris FX book, and thought just to jump on in and then play around some.

I made a 25 second effect with two simple 3D extruded texts. One did three revolutions in 25 seconds, and the other did three spins (x and Y axis). Nothing fancy. Pretty basic first-try stuff.

I hit 'render' and it took perhaps a half an hour for the engine to cycle through the effect. Settings are draft quality, 25% scale, output is all low quality, and draft mode. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, Chris Vadnais' computer did not move this slow!"

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I know this is not the hottest machine in the world. I checked the performance window, CPU usage was about 75% (or something), while system RAM was down around 1/3rds used. I was surprised, as I thought it would be the opposite of that.

I don't mind if the final render takes a while, but can anyone please let me know how I can set the thing to give me a draft render that shows me what I am rendering, so I can play around and learn how to use Boris FX before I grow old?

Thank you very much for your help.

Norman

Primary Video machine: Dell Precision 380, Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows XP, NVidia GeForce 8600GT +1GB, C: and D: in RAID 0 with external backups. Sony Vegas 8.0c, RED 4.3. Recording with Sony HDR-FX1, feed to hdd with Sony HCR-HC1, HDV.

Email-and-experiment-with-software-machine: Dell Inspiron E1720 laptop, Pentium Centrino Duo 2.0 GHz, Windows Vista Business (it came with the machine, what can I say), 4GB system RAM, 4GB ReadyBoost RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600M GT, C: and D: 7200 RPM, backups externally. Vegas 8.0c, Red 4.3.

Nazarene Israel is a grass-roots movement that is being used to re-establish the original first-century 'Jewish Christian' faith of the apostles. Please check us out:

http://www.nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Boris Red moves like molasses in winter....
on Dec 15, 2008 at 2:55:42 pm

Hi,

To enable fast previews, you should do the following:

• make sure that you are in draft mode - you can control this with the third button from the left at the bottom of the main composite window

• make sure that OpenGL is enabled - do this by going here: Preview>OpenGL Mode>On,max. texture caching

• make sure that you are performing a "preview to RAM" and not just pressing the spacebar to play through the effect - do this by selecting the timeline window and pressing control + zero

Now when you preview extruded objects the previews will be computed on the graphics card instead of the CPU. Note that this preview only, the final render will still be "scanline" and will take place on the CPU, and not in OpenGL.

Also, if you really want to get better performance with RED, then you should try using it in standalone mode of operation and not as a plug-in. The reason for this is that when the host is running, it consumes resources and can get in the way of RED and while the host won't prevent RED from completing any operation, RED will run faster outside of the host environment.

Please let me know if this information helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Dec 23, 2008 at 5:12:48 am

Hey Peter.

Thanks for your quick response. I got waylaid by some things, but hopefully now I can get back to Boris.

I am in draft mode. Open GL, max texture caching is enabled. Boris is opened in stand-alone mode.

I pressed Ctrl-0, and it still moves really slow. After five minutes, the subtitle has performed maybe 30 degrees rotation.

Hardware is Dell Inspiron E1720 with Windows Vista Business (ugh), 4GB RAM, and 4GB ReadyBoost RAM. The graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT +256 MB. The CPU is averaging maybe 70% usage on each core, while the memory shows perhaps 55-60% free.

I'm all ears. And thank you, I very much appreciate your help.

Norman

Norman Willis

Nazarene Israel is a grass-roots movement that is being used to re-establish the original first-century 'Jewish Christian' faith of the apostles. Please check us out:

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Dec 23, 2008 at 9:23:59 pm

Also, as a completely separate issue, assuming we can figure out whatever I am doing wrong in Red, how much difference is an Nvidia Quadro card going to make over my existing NVidia GeForce card?

Thank you very much for your help.

Norman

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
on Jan 1, 2009 at 5:42:52 am

OK, sorry for all of the Noob questions. I did some more research, and found out that Red should run on a GeForce OK, although not as well as a Quadro, but it does not seem like the GeForce should be the cause of Red taking forever to play/render/RAM preview.

I know you are probably still on vacation, but when you get back in, it would really be a blessing to be able to get back on Red.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Norman

Return to posts index

Norman Willis
Please Help!!!!!
on Jan 7, 2009 at 3:32:17 pm

Hi Peter.
I see you are back on the forums. I am still stuck. Can you please help? Please?
Does this perhaps have anything to do with the paging file? Do I need to shut the paging file off (or rather, down to the minimum) to get better performance?
Can you please give me some recommendations? Please? Because I am stuck, and want to learn how to use Boris.
Thank you,
Norman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]