BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Z-Space in Media Composer

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian JohnsonZ-Space in Media Composer
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 1:34:24 am

I'm trying out Z-Space I in Media Composer and having some trouble. I can set up 3 planes and have them intersect each other just like the manual shows, however the image in plane 2 (1st below) always remains as the background when Background is set to none. The only options for setting a background are the 3 layers that I am using as planes. If I edit black onto a layer and set that as the background I lose the use of one of the planes.

Also, if I put a key on the filter layer (assigned as plane 1), the plane is still shown as a full frame containing the filter layer video keyed over the layer 2 video.

This all happens the same whether everything is nested under the z-space or split out into 3 tracks. I know it all boils down to the stupid way media composer passes DVE effects down through the layers. Is there any way to work around it with the Z-Space plugins, or are they essentially useless in the Avid?

Ian

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Z-Space in Media Composer
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 4:57:46 pm

Hi,

To solve this problem you need to go into the filter general controls group and set the background to something other than the default, which is 1st below. Setting it to None will generate the black background that you are looking for.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Ian JohnsonRe: Z-Space in Media Composer
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 6:02:55 pm

What is the difference between the background in general controls and the one at the bottom of the plugin?

Also, how do I get one of the planes to key without showing another layer as a background within it?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2008 at 6:19:32 pm

What is the difference between the background in general controls and the one at the bottom of the plugin?

Not much from what I can tell.

Also, how do I get one of the planes to key without showing another layer as a background within it?

If you apply the BCC Chroma Key filter to a layer in the timeline and then apply the BCC Z Space I filter to a layer above the keyed layer then it should work as expected, ie, the key should show the underlying layer.

Return to posts index

Ian JohnsonRe: Z-Space in Media Composer
by on Dec 10, 2008 at 7:43:15 pm

The Z-Space uses for its planes the track as it appears when it is monitored by itself. Suppose I have a title on V2 (first below the filter). When I monitor V2, I see the title keyed over V1, and that is the image in the plane. If I move the title to V1 then it appears in the plane as a title over black, and if I put it in V3 (on the filter layer) it appears as the title over V2. The plane never uses the alpha in the target track however it is created. It only shows the resulting composite.

In the pdf for Z-space it shows text as one of the planes casting a 3D shadow onto another plane. How is this possible? I can't find any way for a plane to make use of transparency in any way other than the opacity slider.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2008 at 8:18:55 pm

So this filter appears to have some issues when working with clips that include alpha information - I'll pass this on to engineering and ask them to take a look at it when they have a chance.

Meanwhile, if you have AvidFX I suggest that you complete the effect using that instead of BCC AVX.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]