BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Importing HD content in RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark RothmanImporting HD content in RED
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 1:35:23 am

When applying a RED 4.3.1 filter to HDV content from PP CS3, everything works fine. But I'd like to add a second HDV layer in RED and it doesn't seem to import HDV or any other HD content. Is there some way to get multiple HDV layers into RED?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Importing HD content in RED
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 1:49:36 pm

HI Mark,

You should be able to import an unlimited number of layers of any size into RED. Are you working within a host environment (and if so, which host?) or are you using RED standalone? The answer to this question will enable me to provide you with the answer that you are looking for.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mark RothmanRe: Importing HD content in RED
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 4:51:41 pm

Peter, either standalone or from CS3, my HDV files don't show up in RED's import dialog -- only .mov, .avi, .mpg and a few others. Are they supposed to? Is there some other HD video format RED will import directly?

If not, is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Mark

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2008 at 5:00:59 pm

Hi Mark,

Is the suffix extension on the clip labeled correctly? If you are on Windows this is important as RED can't recognize the file without the correct file extension. What codec was used in the generation of the files that you are trying to import?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

mark rothmanRe: Importing HD content in RED
by on Dec 5, 2008 at 8:04:43 pm

Peter, changing the extension from .mpeg to .mpg worked for my HDV camcorder files but RED really doesn't like the movies. They barely play.

They're 1080i resolution, but when I import them into a 720p file in Premiere and apply a Boris filter, RED is delighted with them. Can you recommend a file format for me to transcode my camcorder files into so that RED can import them and they'll match the 720p resolution?

Using Adobe Media Encoder I tried converting to a 720p H.264 file, but RED didn't recognize the .mp4 extension and couldn't read the file if I changed the extension to .mpg.

I'm on WinXP. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Return to posts index

by on Dec 5, 2008 at 8:12:05 pm

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you were able to import the files, even if the performance is sluggish. I'll ask the engineers if they have an answer for you regarding the best codec for RED under these conditions.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2008 at 3:31:54 pm

Hi Mark,

We would like to take a look at an example file that you are having trouble with in RED. Can you please send me a few frames ... I'll send get that over to engineering and they'll take a look at it. You can send it to me via yoursendit.com free FTP service. My email is peterm@borisx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]