BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Keep transparency from Photoshop file

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark AdamcikKeep transparency from Photoshop file
by on Dec 2, 2008 at 9:58:09 pm

Howdy all,
How do I keep the transparency of a Photoshop file layer when I bring it into RED (Avid FX). If I save the layer out of Photoshop as a Targa file, the transparent background comes into RED as a white background.
Thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Keep transparency from Photoshop file
by on Dec 3, 2008 at 1:38:29 pm

Hi,

RED and Avid FX can accept native Photoshop files with layers and alpha so the best option is to save the file out from photoshop as PSD and import that into RED / Avid FX. The Targa file format does not support alpha.

You can even access the individual layers from the photoshop file and manipulate them in 3D space in RED and Avid FX. To do this, import the layered PSD file and select Track>Convert to Container.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mark AdamcikRe: Keep transparency from Photoshop file
by on Dec 3, 2008 at 6:24:34 pm

The step that was missed was converting the PSD file to RGB format before import.
Our graphic artist never did this and RED rejected the file. Although it may be obvious to other users, this is a BIG creative step for me, I like having all the layers available for manipulation.
Nothing but fun!
Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Christopher WrightRe: Keep transparency from Photoshop file
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:24:47 am

Actually TGAs can definitely (and definitely do) save as 32 bit (8 bit alpha, 24 bit color)files. Some apps don't recognize the alpha from the TGA format however. I have always had to use PNGs with alpha in FCP for instance.

Dual 2.5 G5, IO, Kona LH, IO, Medea Raid, UL4D, NVidia 6800, 4Gig RAM
Octocore 8 GB Ram, Radeon card, MBP, MXO
Windows XP Adobe Studio CS3, Vegas 8.0, Lightwave 9.2, Sound Forge 9, Acid Pro 6, Continuum 5, Boris Red 4, Combustion 2008, Sapphire Effects

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Keep transparency from Photoshop file
by on Dec 4, 2008 at 1:05:04 am

Hey Christopher,

My bad - you are totally right, TGA files are indeed 32 bit. Thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]