If this is the same person that I was working with last night then you should already be sorted out but in case this is a different person I'll send the same reply that got this to work for them.
The key here is to make sure that you select all of the text in the text generator window before you attempt to make adjustments to any parameter.
Here are the steps:
• under the generators function in the source window, select Boris>Title 3D
• click on the banner in the controls window to launch the text generator composition window
• if you need a live update while working on the text, make sure that the pop-up located at the bottom left of the text generator window is displaying the All Styles option. If it is set to anything other than All Styles then you will not see the shadow until you apply back to FCP.
• type some text
• select the text
• go to the 5th tab (select this by clicking on the 5th (last) on the vertical list
• set the shadow to taste (if you are not seeing the shadow, click on the pop-up at the bottom left of the text generator window and set it to All Styles)
• click the apply button
• set the in and out for the length of the generator clip
• drag the text from the source monitor into the timeline