BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

A very quick question about Boris Blue

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fotis VassisA very quick question about Boris Blue
by on Oct 15, 2008 at 6:21:29 pm

Hi, I am currently evaluating Blue 2.51 which fortunatelly supports my AGP Saphire X1950Pro and have real time preview (with draft preview setting).
What I don't understand is if Blue also uses hardware accelaration for the rendering as well. From some quick tests I can't see any good speed when rendering HDV titling projects to tga image sequence (so I can import to Vegas).
Is this the case or I have to set the render option not to be best-full quality?

Interchefs Culinary Club

The Interactive Gourmet Experience

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: A very quick question about Boris Blue
by on Oct 15, 2008 at 7:01:49 pm

In the "Render" tab of a the Scene container for a BLUE composition, there is a popup menu for setting the Final Quality of the effect. This popup menu determines the level of anti-aliasing applied when exporting the effect or viewing it in HQ mode. There are 4 Final Quality options:
- Basic (no anti-aliasing - same quality as Draft mode)
- Good (anti-aliasing done entirely on the GPU of the video card)
- Better (oversampled in software before doing GPU anti-aliasing)
- Best (oversampled even more...)

The higher levels of anti-aliasing do take longer to export than the lower levels but overall it should still seem quite fast for a 3D effect (compared to renders from a 3D modeling program for example). Depending on the kind of effect being done, lower levels of anti-aliasing can be sufficient. For filtering and compositing fullscreen video the Basic setting will look as good as any of the others. For 3D compositions with objects transformed in 3D space with lots of high contrast edges, higher levels of anti-aliasing will give smoother edges to the 3D shapes. BLUE defaults to using "Better" Final Quality. You might try to lower it to "Good" to see if that gives acceptable results with better export speeds.

Other things which can take a bit longer to export (compared to other features in BLUE) are motion blur and cast shadows.

You mentioned that you were exporting sequential still graphics. While I wouldn't expect that to be any slower than other formats, you may want to try exporting an AVI file instead - to see if that is any faster if you are getting abnormally slow exports.

Dirk
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Fotis VassisRe: A very quick question about Boris Blue
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 9:25:16 pm

Hi and thanks for your answer. As I can see there are 5 options, Best,Fast,Web,Custom,Preview
For a 10 second simplest in the world composition which has only the word "Hello" in there it asks me for 1 minute render time for avi or mov BEST and 17 minutes for targa sequence.
Are you sure guys there is nothing wrong with the software?

Interchefs Culinary Club

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: A very quick question about Boris Blue
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 2:30:49 pm

Fotis Vassis on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:25:16 pm wrote
"Hi and thanks for your answer. As I can see there are 5 options, Best,Fast,Web,Custom,Preview"

Actually, I'm not referring to those options, I'm talking about the options you see if you have a Scene Container track selected in the timeline and you are viewing the render Tab in the Controls window. For a simple 2D effect you could probably set the Final Quality there to Basic or Good.

The fact that a targa sequence is taking 17x longer than an AVI is very surprising and it sounds like something is very wrong in that case. I will have that tested here at BorisFX to see if we can explain it.

The 1 minute export time for a simple 10 second effect also sounds longer than expected but might improve by changing the Final Quality setting I mention above. You said you have a Radeon X1950 and the resolution is 1280x720 ?

Return to posts index

Fotis VassisRe: A very quick question about Boris Blue
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 8:01:03 pm

Hi, Yes I have a X1950 saphire card. The project is HDV 1440x1080 25fpsPAL, 10 seconds duration with the word "HELLO" in there. Nothing else touched

Interchefs Culinary Club

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]