BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

UPREZ Boris Avid AVX

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Skeris
UPREZ Boris Avid AVX
on Sep 5, 2008 at 11:49:18 pm

Hello,

I'm having difficulty using this plug-in on a new Avid Composer DX Nitris system. I want to bring 4x3 SD footage into a 1080i 59.94 project. I want UPREZ to crop the 4x3 SD and then fill the 16x9 frame. I also want to apply a De-Interlace at some point so that the UPREZ'd footage will look similar to the 30P footage we're shooting.

My first issue is that i am not sure which setting to choose in the SOURCE/Source Size chooser. Should I select 720x486 or 1920x1080?

In either case, I cannot increase TRANSFORM/Scale X past 45 without the image losing part of the left and right sides. I'm trying to increase this size as much as possible without disruption, but frankly I don't understand how this setting interacts with the values in GEOMETRICS/Scale X, Scale Y.

The next issue is that I cannot find a Preset to properly scale my footage to normal size. Avid users know that when SD material is imported into a 16x9 HD project, it will be stretched horizontally to fill the frame. I need UPREZ to not just to allow unlocked scaling of X and Y, but to present the ratio-corrected values for my SD material AND also allow scaling within that ratio. As far as I can tell, this is not possible.

Finally, under QUALITY/Sharpness, I have tried rendering different choices: Magic Sharp, Magic Smooth and Sharp with the Sharpness slider both at Zero and also at 100, but in each case I cannot see any sharpness added.

I also need to know when I add the Boris De-Interlace FX. Should it happen before or after UPREZ?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Matt

Return to posts index

Catalin Brylla
Re: UPREZ Boris Avid AVX
on Sep 6, 2008 at 9:13:24 pm

Hi Matt,

I have a similar problem. I have 16:9 DV footage in an 1080i HDV Avid Media Composer project. As Avid allows mixed resolution in their timeline, the DV footage automatically fills the screen exactly like the HDV footage. Only difference is the quality, which, of course I want to improve with the BCC Uprez filter. The Boris website tutorial is of no use because it is for Adobe. Any Avid user that has used Uprez?

Catalin

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Sep 7, 2008 at 12:23:58 pm

Hi Catalin, I am curious if you have had any luck with the Sharpness slider- that's the look I need the most. Good luck- I'm sure we'll get some advice here.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 8, 2008 at 1:43:48 pm

Hi,

I copied this from the help page that I wrote for this filter, which you can access by clicking the "Launch Help File" button at the top of the filter controls.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

We'll start by creating an HDTV 1920 x 1080 project. Into this new project, we'll import an SD 720 x 480 clip, and drag the clip into the timeline. It is important to import the media at it's native size, so you should click on the options button and select the "Maintain, non-square" option from the Avid Import Settings window. Select the clip in the timeline, then in the Avid plug-ins window click on the BCC Distortion and Perspective group and then drag the BCC UpRez filter onto the clip.

In the UpRez filter go to the source parameter group and set the source pixel aspect ratio to Square Pixels and set the Source Size to NTSC D1. Next we go to the transform parameter group in the UpRez filter. Click on the disclosure triangle to reveal the parmeters within this group and set the framing pop-up to Fill Frame. The SD image now fills the HD frame.

By default, the filter is set to use an algorithm that was designed to take the least amount of time to render while still offering an improved image result over the host transform scale alone, however the sharpening value defaults to 0 so no additional image sharpening will occur until we enter a higher value in the sharpening parameter. Set the Sharpening parameter to 50 percent and review the image result. Although this result is indeed better than the host scale result, the UpRez filter can deliver more image detail and we'll enhance it further by selecting the Magic Sharp algorithm from the Filter pop-up menu. Observe that now the image appears much clearer and closer to the original untransformed clip.

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Sep 8, 2008 at 4:05:51 pm

Hi Peter, thanks for your help. I'm using Composer DX Nitris v3.0 and the Boris BCC that comes with it. I've followed the guidelines as to source pixel aspect ratio = square pixels, Source Size = ntsc D1 720x486 and the Fill Frame (Crop) pulldown as described in your notes. however, I still have the same issues.

My media is SD footage from beta tape captured at 1:1 inside a 1080i project- AvidHD can capture this format by setting its Project/Format tab to 30i for capture, then putting it back to 1080i to resume editing in HD.

The SD footage appears stretched when seen on the 1080i 16x9 timeline- this is normal. However, using Uprez, I can't achieve a proper aspect ratio on the zoomed-in SD footage without enabling Geometrics and increasing just Scale Y by eye.

I further tested this just now by creating an SD title with a white background showing a perfect circle inside a perfect square. Only after increasing Geometric's Y to 125 did I achieve a perfectly round, albeit zoomed in circle image to fill the 16x9 frame in HD.

The Transform value for the above was 37.40.

I also tried using Sharpness on the original SD footage and could not see a real difference between the zero setting and the 100 setting, all the while using Magic Sharp.

If you can have someone try this on an Avid system like mine it would be even more helpful and I look forward to any ideas you might have.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 8, 2008 at 7:47:05 pm

Hi,

Can you please send us a screenshot of the Avid UI where you have the SD clip in the HD sequence before you apply the UpRez filter? You can send that to me at peterm@borisfx.com.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Sep 8, 2008 at 8:38:28 pm

OK- I just sent one as an attachment from my yahoo acct.

Return to posts index

Loui Bernal
on Nov 12, 2008 at 11:00:32 pm

Hi, I have an Avid Media Composer Nitris 3.0 and I'm trying to "UpRez" DV-PAL 720x576 fotage in to a HD 1920x1080p25 project.
I've managed to get the DV-fotage right in size but nothing happens when I ajust Magic Sharp, Magic Smooth with the Sharpness slider from 0, 50 and 100. I can't se any effect at all. Maybee there's a hidden button? Should I put a little salt on my shoulder?
Whats the trick?

Some times the plug-in bugs and freak out with a wild zoom and I can only se parts of the frame no matter what I do.
Is UpRez suposed to work with Avid MC?
Has any one been successfull?

Loui

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:20:51 am

Loui, I am subscribed to this entire thread via email.

I was waiting here patiently for a reply about the Uprez AVX after emailing a requested screenshot and describing in detail what looks like the same issues that brought you here. Not every fix is quick or a priority and I certainly get that. The Boris collection is wonderful, but I've moved on. I now use Squeeze5 to Uprez SD NTSC to 1920x1080 after doing many experiments with its built-in Sharpening filter.

Perhaps your post is going unnoticed- you may want to start a new thread so that it will appear at the top of a list sorted by thread.

Return to posts index

Loui Bernal
on Nov 20, 2008 at 4:37:09 pm

Matthew Skeris, thanks for the information! I did try a bit more and found a way to make “uprez” work. I shrunk the original image to it's native resolution and then applied “uprez”. Then it worked. I think it's a stupid interface and “uprez” didn't do much to improve image quality anyway. It might work better on some other scene. Now I'm trying "Pixel Chooser" in Boris in order to get secondary color grading in various fx. I think Avid should supply mask and key features in MC color tool without asking for an additional 12K.
Meantime Boris is good to have though the interface is somewhat tedious. Now I'm trying to figure out the key section in each fx. I can't get it to work in the “real time” section. After selecting the color nothing happens. I'm trying HSL diff, HUE diff, RGB diff etc. or at least nothing that has to do with the color I picked. I've emailed Boris at different times but get no answers. It doesn't say in the manuals or in the fx itself if not available. One might say this is an improvement area.

Are you the wiser?

Regards
Loui

Return to posts index

Michael Mills
on Feb 12, 2009 at 8:38:26 pm

Matthew,

I saw your post on using SS5 for up-rez. Can you give the details of your workflow?

Thanks,

Michael

Leap and the net will appear!

Return to posts index

Matthew Skeris
on Feb 14, 2009 at 8:10:50 am

Hi Michael, I don't remember eactly or have access to my Avid for a few days, but in general it all made sense once I realized that SS5 is capable of producing hi quality 1920x1080 QT files with DNxHD codec from Avid-Exported QTref files. I thought SS only made web-quality movies, but I was pleasantly surprised. The key setting is 1:1 frame and Keyframe every 1 frame.

I really like that I can run SS5 in the background while continuing to edit normally with Avid.

Once finished, I imported my 1920x1080 QTref render back into my Avid HD project, it looked indistinguishable from a video mixdown which looks indistinguishable from original footage,imo.

At that point I explored SS5 using an imported SD QTref, using SS5 filters for Crop, Sharpness and perhaps another. I took the time to tweak every parameter incrementally (some of which behaved counter-intuitively) and convinced myself that the result was great. YMMV, but as an SS5 customer, I got immediate, free phone support at SS to explain each setting on the filters... it made all the difference and I saved a preset. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Peter Meyer
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:26:40 am

How do I maintain the native size when the clip is captured in Avid?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 4, 2010 at 1:19:05 pm

Hi,

That's a preference that you have to set while importing the clips into the Avid bin. After you click "import" you will be presented with a file browser. In the file browser is a button labelled "options". Click this button and you will see the Avid Import Settings window. In this window there is a group of controls labelled Image Size Adjustment". Enable the "Do Not Resize Smaller Images" option. Then press okay to close the window and select the file to import.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]