BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Program that uses GPU

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Meissner
Program that uses GPU
on Jul 30, 2008 at 1:59:54 am

My question is what video card would boris products RED and BLUE, benefit from the most? Looking into a new video card and these are my options.

A Quadro FX4000/4500

A 6800GT PCI-e SLI config (total of 512 RAM)

Single 7800GT PCI-e 256MB card

Do the products take advantage of the Quadro pro features? Or better to be in a larger RAM/SPEED setup?

Thank you very much!!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Program that uses GPU
on Jul 30, 2008 at 1:14:31 pm

Hi,

Well that's a pretty good question. The applications RED and BLUE are quite different in terms of their needs and what it takes to make them operate in a speedy manor. Let's start with RED - RED is a CPU based 2.5D compositing, titling and special effects application. It works best on the machines equipped with the latest multi-processors with several Gb's of RAM and a good amount of free disc space. Blue is a GPU based real-time 3D compositing, titling and special effects application. It needs a very fast graphics card, preferably manufactured by Nvidia, a couple of Gb's of RAM and a good amount of free disc space.

So what configuration to recommend to run both applications on the same system? I would think you should go for a multi-processor equipped Windows system with a Quadro FX graphics card (4000/4500 is a great choice), at least 2 Gb of RAM (4 is better) and a striped raid array.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]