BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Glint - How to move without background

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caton ClarkBCC Glint - How to move without background
by on Jul 22, 2008 at 2:48:03 pm

I'm trying to put a single glint on a person's smile with a chime effect.

I have no problem creating the single glint I want, but when I'm trying to drag it to the person's mouth it drags a copy of the entire image with it.

Is there a way to turn the background off so that the glint acts more like an independent element with an alpha channel?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC Glint - How to move without background
by on Jul 22, 2008 at 5:11:37 pm

Hi,

Because the Glint is a threshold based effect, you'll need to be a little creative to achieve the intended goal of adding the glint to the talents' smile.

With AE as host:

• create a new comp
• create a new black solid color layer (although the color of the layer isn't that important)
• select the paint tool
• double click the layer to open it in the paint mode
• set the brush to about 5 pixels and the color to white
• create a single paint spot somewhere in the layer - the middle works fine for this
• enable the paint on transparency option in the paint filter
• apply the Glint to this comp and set it up so that you have only one glint the size that you need
• precomp this composition (select move all attributes) - name it Glint
• place the "Glint" comp over the talent and drag it into position

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Caton ClarkRe: BCC Glint - How to move without background
by on Jul 22, 2008 at 8:32:19 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry I didn't let you know what platform I was on.

Any chance you'd know how to accomplish this in avid?

I tried applying the BCC effect to a paint effect but it still kept affecting the image beneath.

Thanks

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC Glint - How to move without background
by on Jul 23, 2008 at 2:47:00 pm

Hi Caton,

Well doing this in an Avid is a little more complex due to how that system handles alpha information.

• in photoshop create an image that has only a single white dot in the center and everything else transparent and save this as a tiff with alpha
• import this into the avid, make sure you include the alpha channel on the import
• once imported, drag this image onto a video track in the timeline above the clip with the talent
• apply the glint to the photoshop image
• in the title-matte controls group of the bcc glint filter, enable the apply to title-matte option
• you should now be able to reposition the glint image with the glint over the talent's smile

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Ryan BrownRe: BCC Glint - How to move without background
by on Jul 31, 2008 at 2:05:58 pm

Hi Peter, I found your info very helpful, still one prob:

Once the Tiff is in the Avid, I can repostion the dot within the effects editor to it's desired location. However once I apply the BCC Glint (Nested or Not), the dot returns to it's origonal position, when I try to re-position, the whole clip moves. (Back to square 1). When I step in to the nest the key symbol has been removed from the tiff, which means you can't move the alpha?

Any ideas would be much appreciated... Cheers

Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]