BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

FX9 in FCP6

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug MiltonFX9 in FCP6
by on Jul 11, 2008 at 8:32:00 pm

I’m working in FCP6 on an Intel Mac. I have downloaded the Boris FX9 trial to see how it fits into my workflow. I am finding myself struggling a bit as FX and Red tutorials aren’t FCP specific. If there is a comprehensive manual on using FX9 within FCP, I’m not finding it. (?)

I have a clip and I’m trying to use corner pin to track the camera motion and then replace with another image. The tutorial on the Boris site is from Red and I’m feeling a bit lost, being completely new to Boris. I can apply the effect to my clip and move the tracking points but am not sure how to capture the movement and proceed, as everything looks different in FCP.

Anyone familiar with FX9 in FCP who has a moment to walk me thru the process would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: FX9 in FCP6
by on Jul 14, 2008 at 1:42:17 pm

I don't think there is a full blown manual on use of FX in FCP however I'll see if I can assist you in creating the effect that you are struggling to understand.

• apply Boris FX to the background video clip in the FCP timeline
• double click the video track to which you have applied the effect to being it into the source monitor
• click on the FX banner to enter the FX user interface
• select Filter:Motion:Corner Pin Tracker
• on the Corner Pin Filter, click on the video monitor icon on the track to open the motion tracker setup window
• with the timeline marker at frame 0, position the targets so that they are over the motion that you want to capture
• In the Controls Window, click on the green target button to analyze the motion of the clip
• close the motion tracker setup window
• set the media that you want to pin onto the background by clicking on the media icon on the corner pin tracker layer in the timeline
• drag through the timeline and you should have the pinned effect
• if you need to make adjustments to the recovered motion, you can reopen the motion tracker setup window at any time by clicking on the tv monitor icon on the filter layer

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Doug MiltonRe: FX9 in FCP6
by on Jul 15, 2008 at 5:41:52 pm

Thank you, Peter

Return to posts index

Latisha WillisRe: FX9 in FCP6
by on Sep 5, 2008 at 8:27:24 pm

first, thank you for this post! It worked great...except I can't change the media I want to 'pin' to my background. When I open the track in a second window the correct image is there but in the final composition the background appears. Any help on how to fix.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: FX9 in FCP6
by on Sep 5, 2008 at 9:39:20 pm

Hi Latisha,

If you would like to send me the BorisFX settings file I'll take a look to see what is going on and why you cannot change the media. You can send it to me at

Return to posts index

latisha willisRe: FX9 in FCP6
by on Sep 6, 2008 at 1:19:18 am

Sorry, kind of new to Boris, how do I do that?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved