BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Fixed Letter Width and Text Generator

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pankow
Fixed Letter Width and Text Generator
on Jun 17, 2008 at 4:49:09 pm

I'm trying to do an effect where calendar years count up from 1921 to 2008. The problem is that the varying character widths causes the year to "jump" horizontally.

Turning on 'Fixed Character Width' in the Transform tab eliminates this, but the gap between the "1" and the rest of the numbers is too wide and the kerning between the rest of the numbers is too tight. How can this be corrected to look right?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Fixed Letter Width and Text Generator
on Jun 17, 2008 at 5:15:00 pm

Hi Steve,

Here's my take on the situation.

Because you're using computer generated text, you will not have any control over the pair kerning and therefore cannot push the 1 away from the other characters. What you can do though is to eliminate the leading 1 from the title and use the tracking controls to even out the space between the remaining numbers. Then you can add a second text track above the numbers, set the number 1 and position this in front of the other 3 numbers.

If this was not computer generated text you would be able to use the pair kerning function in conjunction with the tracking function to do exactly what you have in mind without the need for the extra steps.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:17:57 pm

Sounds like this is something that needs to be added to the feature request list.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:23:20 pm

Point well taken.

It won't be an easy feature to implement but I'll add it to the list.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Jun 17, 2008 at 9:08:15 pm

As a general reworking of how the whole text kerning/tracking functions system-wide, I'd agree with you. But what if there were some special mode added just to the Generator Type drop-down menu that would allow for this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]