BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Utilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxwell FedermanUtilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions
by on Jun 17, 2008 at 8:55:04 am

The Steve Oakley presets include several keyframed transitions.

Within the RED Engine, what is the procedure for replacing the media in the transitions with media of lengths longer than the effect duration?

Can these transitions be utilized as plugin transitions in a host?

I understand that the parameters for these effects could be reverse-engineered, but this app would be an easier purchase to justify if these effects (particularly Light Zoom transition, etc.) were easy and fast to implement....

Naturally, I appreciate any help.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post-

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Utilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions
by on Jun 17, 2008 at 1:04:22 pm

Hi Max,

Glad to hear that you've been enjoying the Steve Oakley transitions that ship with the RED Keyframe Library. Because RED features a 100 percent non-destructive workflow, you can change the duration of any element from the Library to suit the project that you are working on. To do this you need to become familiar with the Keep Keyframe Time feature in RED. This feature, when enabled, will maintain the timing of the Library composition regardless of the project that you use it in. For instance if you have a 2 second Library transition that you import into a 10 second project, if you have Keep Keyframe Time enabled, the transition will keep it's 2 second duration. However, if you disengage this function, the imported transition comp will automatically become stretched from 2 seconds to 10 seconds to fit the length of the project. You control the status of this feature in the Keyframe Palette window. For what you are doing, you should disable this feature.

To replace the media elements in any preset, just click on the media icon and select a replacement image, clip etc.

Boris RED can be used in standalone mode, like other compositing solutions, or it can be used as a plug-in within the host environment. You get both options when you install the product.

To use the Light Zoom as a transition effect you simply add a few keyframes to control the intensity of the light over the region of transition. It's not difficult at all once you understand the basic foundations of the application and like all other applications in the world, this one requires a little bit of study to understand the interface. The time spend learning how to use this product is well worth it in the end as the effects that you can generate with RED are above and beyond the capabilities of any simple filter package. There are tutorials available on our web site ( as well as for purchase training DVDs.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Maxwell FedermanRe: Utilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions
by on Jun 17, 2008 at 6:27:58 pm

Thank you!

This is just what I was looking for.

Thank you very much for responding so quickly!

I posted another question on the "Working within the RED Engine" thread. I came close to answering it myself when I read more about the 3d containers... but I think there may be a shortcut or better way...

If you get a chance please check it out and let me know what you think...

I appreciate your assistance as I only have limited time on a trial download. I have a dialog going with Matt Caravella at Boris and when we buy this software I will let him know that you have been very helpful.

Thanks again,

Max Federman

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Utilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions
by on Jun 17, 2008 at 7:10:35 pm

Hi Max,

Glad that helped. I've responded to your other post - please let me know if any of it is unclear.

Return to posts index

Maxwell FedermanRe: Utilizing Steve Oakley preset transitions
by on Jul 4, 2008 at 10:01:55 pm

Thanks again for your help.

Here's another quick question:

If using the light zoom effect as a transition within a FCP 6.0.3/Red 4 setup,

is there a shortcut to applying Light Zoom directly to clips in the FCP sequence timeline?

Let's assume all of the current plug-in support upgrades from Apple are installed. I will confirm this with the system's owner later. He told me some of the other RED effects will not show up in the Effects tab within FCP, but assumed this was another example of shoddy plugin support from Apple.

Let me know when you get a chance.

Additionally, an editor who I highly respect suggested that Boris Blue is a better app for transitions. He couldnt provide further explanation because of a language barrier, let me know what you think and perhaps we'll give it a test run.

Thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Max Federman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved