BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Graffiti jaggies in FCP

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill EnnisGraffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 21, 2008 at 10:41:24 pm

Hi all. Quick question. I'm using Boris Graffiti 5.2 inside FCP 5.1.4. I'm building a simple text graphic over a beveled spline rectangle, which is then keyed over a video clip in FCP. The text looks beautifully antialiased in the Graffiti window. But when I apply it, it shows up with jaggies in FCP.Now, when I view it on my NTSC monitor, the text is rendered smoothly, but this video is only going to be seen on the web, and when I render it out, it remains jagged on my computer screen. Is this just the nature of the beast, or is there something I can do to make my FCP graphic look as smooth as the original Graffiti window?

Bill Ennis
Media Magic
Video Production Services for Business
since 1984
http://www.MediaMagic.TV

Return to posts index

John MecklenborgRe: Graffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 8:17:53 pm

You are going to find compression issues like this when exporting for web. I would try putting a slight gaussian blur (2 to 5 point) over your graphic. For web delivery of SD material it should get rid of some of the mosquitoes and jagged edges.

Return to posts index

Bill EnnisRe: Graffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 22, 2008 at 11:25:05 pm

It's just weird that Graffiti puts a nice smooth antialias on the text in its own window; then as soon as you hit apply and return to FCP, the keyed text shows up jagged. I thought maybe I had some setting discombobulated between Graffiti and FCP that was causing it.

Bill Ennis
Media Magic
since 1984

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Graffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 5:26:52 pm

Hi Bill,

If you are seeing jaggies in FCP then you most likely are viewing the comp at something other than 100 percent. Try setting the viewer window to 100 percent and see if this resolves the issue. On my machine here, I see the identical looking anti-aliased result on text elements ... I have the comp window in RED set to 100 percent and the record monitor in FCP at 100 percent. If I change over to any other size of course, I see jaggies but this is expected and I think it is like this in every application.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill EnnisRe: Graffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 23, 2008 at 10:18:02 pm

Thanks, Peter! That was all it was. My confusion came in that, after compressing, the resulting text looked eerily similar to what I was seeing in my FCP Canvas (defaulting to 87%). I made a connection that actually wasn't there. In outputting to a full res QT movie, the text looks fine. When I compress that, the text seems to take the biggest hit - and looks pretty gnarly. Not sure what I can do about that, since I'm compressing from 1.2GB to 20MB!

Bill Ennis
Media Magic
since 1984

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Graffiti jaggies in FCP
by on Apr 24, 2008 at 12:45:09 am

Glad to hear that it was something as easy as this Bill.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]