BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris AEX plug ins

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph MehrBoris AEX plug ins
by on Apr 1, 2008 at 4:53:27 pm

Hi
Avid Media Composer Adrenaline 2.8, HP XW8400, 3Gb RAM, 1.2 Tb 4 way striped SAS drives, additonnal SCSI and SATA drives. Avid FX 5.7
I have a problem with chroma keying in Boris RED. (also knowsn as AvidFX). I would like to have access to more settings than the (very) basic "resident" Boris Chroma Keyer.
We do a compositing using around 4 stills, and up to 5 videos. All elements in a "container" I of the videos is choma keyed. I have however edges issues. These issues can be solved using a plug in such as DFT Zmatte, This is an AVX plug in, but also exists as AEX (After Effects FX) plug in, in theory, Boris RED compatible. But when I apply this FX, Boris crashes, (and Avid too) I tried Primatte keyer, which has the same behavior.
I also made the Boris "engine" test standalone software, which has the same reaction. (crash)
Here is my question, what Chroma keyer AEX plug in (except Boris) will be Boris RED compatible.
Just for info, other Avid users trying to help me, suggest I use an additionnal Avid Chroma keyer, this is NOT possible here, I must do the whole work INSIDE Boris. and then render, I can't cumulate an AVX (Avid) chroma key FX and a Boris FX on a same clip on the Avid timeline.
I hope this question is clear enough.
Many thanks for help.

Sep

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris AEX plug ins
by on Apr 2, 2008 at 2:22:07 pm

Hi Joseph,

I'm surprised that you feel the need to supplement the keying filters that are available in RED with 3rd party additions. You mention that the edges were not quite perfect ... have you tried adding the Matte Cleanup or the Matte Choker filters along with the Chroma key filter to perfect the edges? This is usually a necessary procedure given the fact that key lighting is usually not perfect.

I would suggest to you that you give this a shot and it that doesn't provide satisfactory results then please let me know and we'll work together to either figure out the right combination of native filters in RED or a 3rd party plug-in keyer that will deliver the results that you need in RED.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Joseph MehrRe: Boris AEX plug ins
by on Apr 2, 2008 at 9:14:27 pm

Hi Peter, many Thanks for your reply.
I'm surprised that you feel the need to supplement the keying filters that are available in RED with 3rd party additions. You mention that the edges were not quite perfect ... have you tried adding the Matte Cleanup or the Matte Choker filters along with the Chroma key filter to perfect the edges? This is usually a necessary procedure given the fact that key lighting is usually not perfect.
I am unfamiliar with this method, I however am ready to learn. Could you pleae point me to a tutorial explaining this in detail, I am unable to find anything called Matte Cleanup in RED

I would suggest to you that you give this a shot and it that doesn't provide satisfactory results then please let me know and we'll work together to either figure out the right combination of native filters in RED or a 3rd party plug-in keyer that will deliver the results that you need in RED.
It seems that no 3rd party chroma keyer would be RED compatible, according to a recent Boris e-mail.
Many thanks for your time and your help

Sep

Return to posts index

Joseph MehrRe: Boris AEX plug ins
by on Apr 2, 2008 at 10:52:20 pm

So i've got it, the "matte cleanup" 'trick" Yes the result looks better, and settings are indeed more complete with this additional plug in, but I am not completely satisfied with the results. I am able to do a better Job with Zmatte (DFT)AVX on similar keying, outside of Boris obviously.

Sep

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]