BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC Lens Flare

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Nelson
BCC Lens Flare
on Mar 25, 2008 at 8:57:49 pm

The very cool BCC Lens Flare effect exhibits inter-field judder when I render and play back an interlaced sequence. Tried all different settings in the 'Fields' dialog w/no satisfaction. Unusable as of now. Any suggestions?

Avid MC 2.8 on dual G-5 running QT 7.3.1 and OS 10.4.11.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
Re: BCC Lens Flare
on Mar 26, 2008 at 1:39:23 am

Hi Bill,

Can you please tell me what version of BCC are you using? Also, are you using the BCC Lens Flare or the BCC Lens Flare Advanced? I'm assuming that you are simply applying the BCC Lens Flare to a clip in the Avid MC timeline ... is this correct? And what resolution is the clip that you are working with?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:24:56 am

Your assumption is correct, Peter. Thank you for replying. I've applied the BCC Lens Flare running BCC 4 directly onto DV50 MXF media. This clip began life as DV50 P2 media. I earlier tried applying the BCC filter in a blank section above the clip as well, with the same result. As a test, a Noise Industries "Lenticular Halo" applies nicely.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:16:32 am

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sending along the details. I've heard of this issue before and I know there is a solution - I just need to do a little research. I'll look into it this morning and should have an answer for you before lunch.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:13:50 pm

Marvelous! What are we having?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:42:19 pm

HI Bill,

So ... I tried and can't reproduce the issue on my sysetm so I'm assuming that there might be something with the clip or the project that is causing this issue. Is there any chance you could please send me 1 second (or less) of the unfiltered clip in a bin that I can open here? All I need is a couple of frames really. Here's my email address: peterm@borisfx.com. One thing though ... there's a limit on our server to the size of any single attachment so if the bin / clip that you are sending is larger than 5 MB then perhaps you could send this to me via ftp. The free FTP service yousendit.com works like a charm. I suggest zipping anything before sending it to preserve the integrity of the file.

In order for our engineers to fix the effect, I have to demonstrate for them that it is broken, hence the reason for the clip request.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 26, 2008 at 6:43:45 pm

HI Bill,

Can you please tell me whether you were using the Lens Flare or the Lens Flare Advanced filter?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 27, 2008 at 4:57:06 pm

BCC Lens Flare. Not 'Advanced'.

What format would you like to see in the example I'd send?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 27, 2008 at 5:11:11 pm

Hi Bill,

Actually there's no need to send me the clip as I reproduced the issue that you are seeing here using the Lens Flare. What I was able to see is that the effect appears fine at the start of the clip, then as you loop or play the effect, you can see the lens flare flash to white for a couple of frames and then return to normal. Interestingly, this flashing appears to disappear if you select one of the presets, such as the 105mmPrime etc. Our engineering team is looking into the problem and we will issue a free update that fixes this asap. Meanwhile the Lens Flare Advanced, which is a superset of the Lens Flare, can be used instead. This filter can identically mimic the Lens Flare effect and does not exhibit the flashing problem. Or you can jsut pick one of the presets from the Lens Flare preset pop-up menu.

Could you please try the Lens Flare Advanced on your system to see if you get the same clean result that I did on mine? Or use the Lens Flare but pick the 105mmPrime setting and see if that eliminates the flash?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]