BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Bcc3 effect templates to be used with Bcc4

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pedro casaisBcc3 effect templates to be used with Bcc4
by on Mar 23, 2008 at 12:33:54 am

Hi,

I'm a finisher editor for Network shows. I work on different shows on a yearly basis and carry a lot my effects with me. The last show I worked on had Bcc3 avid plugins and I created a ton of effects that can be used evergreen. This new show I am on now, has the Bcc4 avid plugins version. I opened the bin with the effects I created on Bcc3 on this new system with the Bcc4 version and I can see that the effect icons don't show up their effect symbols, they look like blank squares.

Is there a problem having this software use previous version effects templates? I didn't have time to test them yet but my fist guess is that they won't work. On the other hand, I will be blown away if that's the case being the same company and having a software that seems so versatile with everything else.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
PC

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Bcc3 effect templates to be used with Bcc4
by on Mar 24, 2008 at 2:02:45 pm

Hi,

Well in order for the effects that you generated using BCC 3 to become available in BCC 4, you must install BCC 3 on that system as well as BCC 4. Then you promote the BCC 3 effects from AVX 1.5 to AVX 2.0. Then the plugs will work with BCC 4. You can uninstall BCC 3 safely once you have promoted all of the BCC 3 effects from AVX 1.5 to 2.0.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

pedro casaisRe: Bcc3 effect templates to be used with Bcc4
by on Mar 24, 2008 at 3:06:28 pm

Thank you Peter,

I guess the question is now what's the best way to get a hand on a Bcc3. I already have Bcc4 install on this computer, but I went to the Bcc website and can't find a version of Bcc3. Do you have any ideas? Anywhere or anyone where I can buy a used copy?

Thanks.
PC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2008 at 3:25:29 pm

Hey Pedro,

The BCC 3 plug-in option is included in the BCC 4 installer. The BCC 3 plug-ins do not require a license to enable you to promote the effects forward. You should run the installer and select the BCC 3 1.5 plug-ins option.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2008 at 5:52:15 am

Hi Peter!

Hope you're doing well and thanks for the great help you're giving.

I asked the rental company to bring the Bcc4 cd installer. To install it again and select the BCC3 1.5 plug-ins option, do I need to uninstall the current bcc4 first or it will just do it automatically during the process?

Best,
PC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2008 at 12:49:04 pm

Hi Pedro,

I don't think you need to uninstall first and that you should be able to install the BCC 3 AVX 1.5 option on top of the BCC 4 installation. At least this is the first route I would take. I suggest trying that and then launching the Avid to see if both BCC 3 and BCC 4 plug-ins show up in the effects palette before returning the CD to the rental company. IIf they don't show up then simply uninstall BCC 4 and then reinstall BCC 3 and 4 at the same time.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2008 at 1:51:41 pm

Thanks a lot Peter.

Just one more thing, I'm guessing that once all of the parts are installed, in order to promote the avx 1.5 to avx 2.0, I'll see the option on the avid effect palette, right? Will I see an specific button that says promote to avx 2.0?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2008 at 2:04:22 pm

Hi Pedro,

The button that you are searching for looks like two purple lines with small triangles, one on each line. It is located in the Effect Editor window, at the bottom, on the right and if you place the mouse cursor over the button you will see the tooltip label "Promote to Advanced Keyframes." Just click this button and the effect is promoted forward and will then become accessible to BCC 4.

Cheers.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2008 at 7:01:36 am

Hi Peter,

Everything worked well, thanks for all your help.

One more question I like to ask you off topic, do you know if Sapphire deals with the same avx issues for its effect's versions?

At first sight, I'm having the same issues, the icon box is blank when I try to open sapphire v1 effects on sapphire v2 effects.

I will totally understand if this question doesn't apply seems is another company.

Best,
PC

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Bcc3 effect templates to be used with Bcc4
by on Mar 26, 2008 at 11:03:11 am

Hi Pedro,

Glad to hear that worked for you. And regarding your question about the Sapphire effects ... it is my understanding that it is not possible to promote Sapphire V1 effects up to the Sapphire V2 package.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:35:12 pm

Thanks again Peter.

All the best,
Pc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2008 at 2:37:34 pm

You are most welcome Pedro.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2008 at 3:44:57 pm

Peter, it seems I can't leave you alone but I have one more question.
I am in a situation where now I can't used my built-in effects on Sapphire since I created them on v1 and now I have v2.

So I'm thinking to just use only Boris from now on and really take a deeper look on what the Boris effects can do.

Do you know of any good Boris Cd tutorial where they actually show you with examples all kind of effects and combination for a wide range of TV needs and styles? Obviously they more affordable tutorials are preferable. :)

best,
PC

Return to posts index

by on Mar 26, 2008 at 4:57:16 pm

Hi Pedro,

Please feel free to contact me about any of the product that we make as many times as you need to. I don't see this as a burden and am happy to provide assistance whenever I can.

So if you want some free stuff, just go to our web site and go to the tutorials section borisfx.com/tutorials and then click on anything that has Continuum in front of it, regardless of the host, and you'll see how many of the effects work. I'm certain you'll discover things that you never knew existed in the product that will be an enormous help in your effects creation work.

Then there are a couple of training DVD's, which you can see by going here: borisfx.com/training/dvd.php - we sell them of course and I think they are under $100 each. There is one specifically designed for using BCC in Avid.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2008 at 6:05:33 am

Thanks a lot Peter for your great inputs.

Let me ask you a practical situation I often face at work. Sometimes I'm looking at a cut and I like to create a new transition, something I never come up with before.
I don't really know what I want but I know I like to create something creative and sophisticated.

How will one know what kind of transitional combinations we can have with boris? Is there a tutorial where we can see a few examples of cool transitions other than the basic ones it offers on the transition folder?

I had combined Boris and Sapphire all this time because I still can't figure out a way that I can use only one of them and get all I need. For example I find Sapphire more complete with built in effects for transitions and Boris more complete for other stuff. But I believe they both can give us a full range of posibilities, though is hard to see it without some examples up front. Do the paid dvd's offer that range of combinations and examples?

Do I make any sense?

best,
Pc

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2008 at 1:14:00 pm

Hi Pedro,

It's been a while since I had a look at the DVD's that we have available so I'm completely sure what they offer in terms of previews or ideas for transition effects. The only information that we have up on our web site in this regard is this age:

http://www.borisfx.com/product/continuum/avid/wipe_transitions.php

I think you should be able to find plenty of interesting wipe effects using a combination of both BCC and the built-in wipes that ship with the vid product. We're always updating our filter set with new effects and also have the FEC product, which includes many interesting and unique wipes for Avid systems. Here's a link where you can check that out:

http://www.borisfx.com/product/final_effects/avx/

All of our products have a free 15 day trial version so if you want to try the FEC wipes just download the product and install it onto a system. After the 15 day trial period, the filters will generate an X over the viewer until the filters are unlocked with a license key.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]