BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

hello Boris Technical Support? Hello Boris anybody...

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Nelson
hello Boris Technical Support? Hello Boris anybody...
on Mar 12, 2008 at 7:12:08 pm

This should be pretty easy. Was using BCC 4.1 on ver. 2.8 Media Composer when it started crashing. I sat there for a moment, then realized that I probably needed to update my Boris plug-ins.

Sure enough, BCC 4.2 was posted on the website, touting compatibility with my newer Avid version. Great. I download the update, install it. Now when I try to launch Avid, error messages prompt me to reload the original 4.1 BCC from the disk. Some sort of copy protection. Fair enough. I pop in the original disk, and for SOME reason, it won't mount to the desktop. Dang! I call Boris. I'm in the 'out-of-warranty' club. I wait for the 10 minutes, where I'm shunted to voice mail. I leave a message. "Help!" That was Monday, March 10th. No response. I leave a tech message online. No response. I confess to not being a paying Boris Support customer.

SO. I can't use ANY BCC stuff anymore! I've left 3 messages w/Boris technical support in as many days. I've fired off 3 technical support forms on their website in as many days. No response. Look, I know we're all busy, but wonder at the depth of staffing in the technical support department.

I can't imagine how editors with actual problems get anything done with this 'relaxed' level of PAYING customer support.

It wasn't always like this. I got a call several years ago from the Frenchman himself, as I was working to 'Boris-ize' an Avid ABVB setup. Any ideas on how to get Boris to even answer my question?

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
Re: hello Boris Technical Support? Hello Boris anybody...
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:10:27 pm

Just heard from Jon at technical support via email. Within an hour of this previous post. Whatever the cause, I'm grateful for the response.

The post was rather shrill, but I really don't like that helpless feeling that results from having no way to talk to anyone regarding these simple issues... even an acknowledgment of my request stating that they were buried with support stuff would be better than a brick wall. I'm buried sometimes myself, and I get that.

I'm better now.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:27:49 pm

Hi Bill,

One of the technicians from our support team just let me know that they responded to your support query immediately upon seeing it earlier this afternoon.

I'm sorry that you experienced a delay in getting help for the problems with your system and on behalf of the company I offer our sincere apologies for that.

If you prefer not to pay for a support contract then I can assist you for free via this forum, however I can't guarantee an immediate response. The posting that I noticed on the Cow forum is the first knowledge that I had of your issue - could you please tell me on what other forums did you post this query?

FYI - we also offer a very moderately priced per-incident support rate as well as the full price annual support contract and that all of our technicians are highly knowledgeable, extremely competent and a pleasure to work with.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 12, 2008 at 9:06:23 pm

Greetings Peter,

Thanks for your interest and concern. I contacted Boris on Monday, both online and by phone, regarding a funky BCC 4.1 installer CD. No big deal. As you read, I had upgraded and was stuck at the request for the 4.1 installer. I don't believe a pay-as-you-go event charge would even apply in this case. I've been around video production since 1978, so am pretty well-vetted, software and tech-wise. Just needed some help with the 4.1 CD that I owned that was not being cooperative.

I waited for Boris to contact me. No joy. So Tuesday I contacted them again, via web tech support request and via phone message. Still no joy. So this is my first 'extra-Boris' whining session. Shouldn't have to go outside Boris. But they were not answering the door. That's all I'm saying...

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 12, 2008 at 9:31:17 pm

Peter, I gratefully accept any help on this vexing issue. Jon in Tech support posits that I could delete the 4.1 install and try running BCC AVX 4.2.2 in trial mode and then unlocking.

Where are all the 4.1 files? I moved the obvious plugins out of the 'SupportingFiles/AVX Plug-ins' folder, but still get the 'not authorized' error dialog upon Avid start-up.

Also, I can't seem to locate a 4.2.2. trial or demo on the Boris website. Seems you've moved on to 5.x already.

Even a nice 4.1 .dmg file would be great. I could start from there...

Return to posts index

Bill Nelson
on Mar 12, 2008 at 10:08:44 pm

Peter, (and everyone else...)

Please disregard the previous post. Jon is taking great care of me. I'm downloading the .ISO he's left for me and will be back in action, better than new in no time. Thanks to Jon, and yourself!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]