BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Tracking in Boris RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vetal SokolTracking in Boris RED
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 4:43:14 am

Hi
I recently started to use Boris Red 4.2 and have a question about it.
Is it possible to track rotations and scale using RED? For example, to stick a tatoo to a person's face (which rotates, zooms in/out... ). I know, there is "corner pin", but is there anything else, probably more suitable to track such objects as face.
Thanks.

V.S.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Tracking in Boris RED
by on Mar 9, 2008 at 10:01:41 pm

Hi Vetal,

Boris RED includes a 4 point motion tracker that can be used to lock one image onto another moving image, such as the effect that you have described. If you are unclear as to how to use the motion tracker, then launch RED and choose Help>Boris RED Help, which will open the electronic help system in a web browser. Then simply go to the search tab and type in motion tracker and you will find a tutorial that shows you how to use this feature.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Vetal SokolRe: Tracking in Boris RED
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 12:57:37 am

Hi Peter and thanks for reply
Well...I'm a recent user of Bors RED, so maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it, but as far as I understand, "motion tracker" is able to track motion along X,Y axis only, an addition of extra points to track avereges the tracking data, but ... assume, an object approaches my camera, then a pictire I want to stick on this object has to change not only position, but scale as well. As I said, maybe I'm not familiar enough with the settings, but it doesn't look like there is the one for tracking scale...so my question is: Can "motion tracker" track scale?
Thanks.

V.S.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Tracking in Boris RED
by on Mar 10, 2008 at 2:25:03 pm

Hi,

Well the 4 point tracker in RED can actually do what you are asking. Some years ago I created a demo that I used to show at trade shows and events where a person walked through a room holding a framed picture. The person was moving the picture in her hands while walking toward the camera. I replaced the picture within the frame.

I set a point to each corner of the picture frame, set the tracker to analyze the clip, then used this recovered data to control the position, rotation and scale of the clip that I used to replace the painting inside the picture frame.

So, the answer is yes, RED can do what you are trying to do.

I hope this helps.

P.

Return to posts index

Vetal SokolRe: Tracking in Boris RED
by on Mar 11, 2008 at 2:28:57 am

Thank you Peter, that should help a lot.

V.S.

Return to posts index

Ben CarlsonRe: Tracking in Boris RED
by on Jun 2, 2015 at 7:58:48 pm

Peter,
"then used this recovered data to control the position, rotation and scale of the clip that I used to replace the painting inside the picture frame."

I have looked everywhere, and could not find a way to "recover the data" of the RED 5.5 Motion tracker filter to apply to "rotation and scale" of a clip/track. I see no way to use these points otherwise than as an average to control 2D position of a track.
Conversely, I could not find a way to offset the 4 corners of the Corner Pin tracker to adapt to a clip/track whose 4 corners do not match the position of the 4 corners of the filter (same question as the initial one in this topic)

Can someone please give more info (detailed steps) about how to accomplish this in Red 5.5
Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]