BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BORIS Continuum Complete cut and paste key frames / shift

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim LeserBORIS Continuum Complete cut and paste key frames / shift
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:55:23 pm

I am working with AVID Xpress Pro 5.7 and BORIS Continuum 4.1.
I recently upgraded to 5.7 along with installing a patch from BCC.

I have used BCC in the past and liked the fact that it shows up inside AVID, as one of their special effects choices.

However, since upgrading two things are now happening:
1. I cannot copy and past key frames, using copy and paste.
Is there a different way to do this now?
2. Also, there is a one frame shift UP when I go to a clip
with a BORIS effect. It was this one frame shift that caused
me to discontinue using RED and adopt BCC.

Thanks in advance for any help
JL

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BORIS Continuum Complete cut and paste key frames / shift
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:25:43 pm

Hi Jim,

If I am not mistaken, the reason why you cannot copy and paste keyframe data is more to do with AVX 2.0 than anything else. I'l double check on this but from memory this i what I believe to be the case. You may be able to use the 1.5 API effects and still copy/paste keyframes - I'll check on that too just to be sure.

I can understand how the field shift would present a rather major problem for you. Let me see if we can reproduce the issue in house and if so then we'll see what we can offer in terms of a workaround or fix.

One thing that you could check is to apply a BCC filter, say the BCC Colorize Glow, and then twirl down the General Controls group from within the filter UI. In this group you will see a pop-up that probably displays "Fields: Speed Optimized" ... can you go through the 4 available options contained in this pop-up to see if this helps? Please let me know if this eliminates the shift.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jim LeserRe: BORIS Continuum Complete cut and paste key frames / shift
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 8:29:30 pm

Peter,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure I understand
what you mean by using 1.5 API effects rather than AVX 2.0?
Is this an earlier version of Xpress pro?

Regarding the shift. It is indeed troublesome when you have
a video clip of some b-roll or a talking head and on the match frame ( or first frame of the effect) the video shifts!

Sorry, I'm very old school, I cut my teeth on AMPEX ACE three machine systems with ADO and when we had a shift, we merely went to an odd or even frame.

I did read down the page on BORIS to discover the "displeasure" with the Advance Key Frame system from AVID. The person who left that post also complained about not being able to cut and paste...which is a basic of special effects work, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Jim

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:07:58 pm

Hi Jim,

I just promoted an effect to Advanced Keyframes in Avid and was able to copy and paste a keyframe in the effect editor window. Is this what you were looking for?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:39:49 pm

Peter,

Thanks for your reply. I did notice the change in the
user interface (AVID effect editor )window for BORIS CC.
It's significantly more complicated. Another Creative Cow
user noted this change as well.

Would you please explain what you mean by "promoting the effect to Advance Key Frames." This is a new one to me.
How do you "promote" the effect?

I am not at my edit system but will try your solution tomorrow morning.

Thank you. I appreciate this support.

JL

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:06:05 pm

Peter,
( I'm not sure if you received the first reply so I'm re-sending it )

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure I understand
what you mean by using 1.5 API effects rather than AVX 2.0?
Is this an earlier version of Xpress pro?

Regarding the shift. It is indeed troublesome when you have
a video clip of some b-roll or a talking head and on the match frame ( or first frame of the effect) the video shifts!

Sorry, I'm very old school, I cut my teeth on AMPEX ACE three machine systems with ADO and when we had a shift, we merely went to an odd or even frame.

I did read down the page on BORIS to discover the "displeasure" with the Advance Key Frame system from AVID. The person who left that post also complained about not being able to cut and paste...which is a basic of special effects work, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Jim

Return to posts index

by on Mar 6, 2008 at 5:19:17 pm

Hi Jim,

I was able to perform cut/copy/paste actions on keyframes in the advanced keyframe editor right in the Avid interface. Here's what you need to do.

• apply a BCC filter to a clip in the Avid timeline
• go into Avid Effect mode
• at the bottom of the Effect Editor window, you should see several icons. There should be one at the right, which if you hover over it, should be labeled "Promote to Advanced Keyframes"
• click on the "Promote ..." button and the Effects Editor will change, expanding to display a keyframe editor. This is where you control the keyframes as opposed to doing this in the main viewer window.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 3, 2008 at 4:44:11 pm

Peter,

First of all, I appreciate having this source of information
when faced with technical issues.

I've been on vacation and am now getting back to you.

I took hard copy of your instructions which told me to look for the icon on a button on the right, to "promote to advance key frames", down to my edit suite. I didn't see an icon and hovered over all the buttons on the right. There were none that let me promote to that level of adjustment.

I am working in AVID Xpress Pro, 5.7. with BORIS Continuum 4.1, along with a patch from boris. There is a 5.8 version of AVID and I wonder if this "bug" was fixed in that upgrade?

Thank you,

Jim

Return to posts index

Kevin SioRe: BORIS Continuum Complete cut and paste key frames / shift
by on Apr 14, 2008 at 1:40:18 pm

Jim

I am having the same issue. I recently upgraded from Avid ExpressPro to Media Composer and could not figure out how to copy and paste keyframes, either from BCC or the Avid FX interface. Have you figured this out yet?
Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Sio
Videographer/Editor
Corporate Affairs
National Grid

Return to posts index

by on Apr 15, 2008 at 3:42:13 pm

Hello Kevin,

As of today, I don't have an answer. A source tells
me that you should be able to go into the Editor window
in AVID and there's an icon on the lower right that when you
pass the cursor over it, reads "promote to Advance Keyframes"
I don't even see an icon.

It may have something to do with a mismatch between AVID 5.7/5.8
and which update of BORIS CC one has. What I don't understand is WHY someone would add the glitziest filter, BUT not ensure that such a simple thing as a copying and pasting keyframes wouldn't carry through the upgrades of both BORIS and AVID, so they would be compatible. The earlier version of AVID Xpress Pro and BORIS 4.1 worked flawlessly together.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]