BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Red Crashing halfway through

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John NelsonRed Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 10:59:17 pm

Been trying to render a 30 second animation. Gets halfway and crashes with 'Not enough memory' error. Using a G5 dual core 2GHz with 2GB of ram, Tiger 10.4.11, Boris Red 4.1.

The 30 second Project
1. 3D extruded graphics, 4 layers
2. Lights and shadows
3. 3D extruded background

In truth, I'm not well versed on this program yet and this was a test to see if I could make something happen with Red, other than fancy text.

Any help greatly appreciated. Also where to best learn the ins and outs.

Make money (and love, of course) not war...

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Red Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 1:47:44 pm

Hello,

Well although I'm not sure as to the exact cause of the memory error, one suggestion that I have for you to try is to disable on-screen rendering in the comp window while performing the off-screen (to disc) render. To do this, simply enable the caps lock function on the keyboard before pressing the render button, which will prevent the comp window from being updated. This can sometimes help and I would be very interested in hearing if it aids in this situation.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

John NelsonRe: Red Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:25:07 pm

Thanks Peter,

I'll give it a try and report back. The other thing I was thinking about it cutting the animation in half and rendering both halves. Do you think the small amount of ram could be a problem, or maybe something in the preferences?

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Red Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 4:43:10 pm

Are you sure that you have enough free disc space for the render file? Are you rendering the file to a local or a network drive?

Certainly, you should be able to render in two halves that can be cut together later, and that might be a good solution to complete the job, however the fact that the render fails bothers me. Could you please send me a copy of the project without media files? Here's my email address:

peterm@borisfx.com

We'll then take a look at the project to see if we can understand why the render is failing.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Dave DiPintoRe: Red Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 3:11:39 pm

Hi John,

What version of QuickTime are you using? There was a bug in version 7.4.0 that would cause crashes during render. If this is the case run the software update and you should be fine.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

John NelsonRe: Red Crashing halfway through
by on Mar 4, 2008 at 5:44:01 pm

Hi Dave,
Just checked and I did get the update to 7.4.1. Wish that were the fix...

Thanks for your reply,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]