BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Using Boris RED w/ Avid Xpress Pro?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick DeSantisUsing Boris RED w/ Avid Xpress Pro?
by on Feb 12, 2008 at 1:28:28 am

Hi there-

Just got myself up and running with Avid Xpress and Boris Red recently, and I seem to be having some problems getting the 2 programs to work together properly.

As I understand it, after RED is installed, I should be able to see a Boris RED option in the effects tab of my Avid Xpress system. All I'm seeing is "Boris RED AVX 2.0," and I'm missing the standard Boris RED option that should be directly above that - the one with selections for "Boris RED 1 Input" and others. Have I installed RED improperly?

It seems like RED is installed, but not correctly- or am I mistaken?

Apologies if the solution is blatantly obvious, but I can't seem to find a step-by-step install guide for RED anywhere online. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave DiPintoRe: Using Boris RED w/ Avid Xpress Pro?
by on Feb 12, 2008 at 2:54:01 pm

Hi Nick,

You haven't done anything wrong. What you're seeing is the AVX 2.0 version of RED. We ship both the AVX 1.5 and AVX 2.0 versions and give you the option of installing whichever you need.

There is little difference as far as you're concerned which you use. AVX 2.0 gives you 16bit color depth support and advanced keyframing in Avid (not useful for RED). Besides that your experience won't change. The Boris RED filter acts the same as the 1, 2, 4, and 6 input filters without having to choose.

If you prefer the the AVX 1.5 version of RED you can run the installer again, select Modify for your current install, and click the RED AVX 1.5 box without deselecting anything you've previously installed. Now the older style RED plugins will appear in Avid and if you want to use the AVX 2.0 version later you can promote the effect from the Avid effects control window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved