BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Render output quality problem

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Bernard
Render output quality problem
on Feb 3, 2008 at 3:59:21 am

I recently decided to upgrade to Boris Red largely for the paint module. I created a title with paint that looks like a skywriting airplane forming the characters. It looks great in the composite window, but when I render out the movie to either a quictktime or AVI file the letters get much thicker and lower quality, even though I had all the render settings set to high quality.

It's probably just a mistake by someone who is just learning the program but any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
Re: Render output quality problem
on Feb 4, 2008 at 3:13:17 pm

Hi Bruce,

I haven't seen this problem myself so perhaps a little more information would help me figure out what's going on. Are you just using the RED Keyframer? Are you trying to render from inside a host NLE? Are using the most recent version of RED?

Also, please feel free to send me a copy of your RED settings file or a link to a location where I can download it so I may be able to reproduce your problem.

Thanks,
Dave
ddipinto@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Bernard
on Feb 5, 2008 at 3:11:12 am

Will do. It's the latest version. Using the stand-alone engine. Thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:19:14 pm

Hi Bruce,

I took a look at your project and everything rendered as expected for me. What I believe you're seeing is that during render the RED Comp window displays RGB color instead of RGBA so all of the subtle areas of transparency look solid white and blocky.

Import the rendered movie into RED or wherever you're editing your movie and see if it looks correct. If it still looks bad it may be your choice in render settings.

RED does not have a means to ripple edit but try this to extend the length of your effect without destroying the work you've already done.

1. Open your effect.
2. Go to Window menu and open the Keyframe Palette
3. Enable Keep Keyframe Time
4. Change the duration of your effect from either the Timeline window or from Edit menu, Project settings.
5. When you alter the duration the timeline expands but the tracks and keyframes dont. Now you can slide tracks around or change the effect however you want.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bruce Bernard
on Feb 6, 2008 at 5:14:13 am

Hi Dave,

I did as you suggested and I still have the same problem. You are probably correct that it's my render settings. Could you please provide the render settings that you are using so I can try them?

Thanks again,

Bruce

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
on Feb 6, 2008 at 3:34:16 pm

Hi Bruce,

Here's two choices:

1. If you just want the title as is without being able to composite over video you can add a Solid Color track in RED and drop it below you animation and render. This forces the paint to composite with something so you don't get the nasty edges.

2. If you want to composite this over the video in an editing program you'll have to choose render setting that allow alpha. I tend to use QuickTime movies. Make sure that in the Compression Settings the Compression Type is Animation and the Depth is Millions+. The "+" is very important. If you need to use AVI, use the AVI VFW and make sure Alpha channel is set to straight.

When you look at the video rendered using #2 it Windows Meida Player or QuickTime player it will look bad. This is normal. Import the video into RED and look at it there, it should look correct.

What program are you using to edit? That may also have something to do with this issue.

One more thing, while in RED you will see a difference in quality of Paint strokes if you have your Composite window set to Draft or High quality. The final render should resemble the setting you chose in the Render settings.

Let me know if this clears things up for you.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bruce Bernard
Problem Solved!
on Feb 8, 2008 at 2:48:08 pm

Hi Dave,

You are correct that the settings were the issue - I had the compression type set to DV/DVCPRO. Once I changed it to 'Animation' and 'Millions +' I was able to import to Vegas and have it look the way I expected.

Thanks again for all your help,

Bruce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]