BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Region of interest problem...

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel BlackwellRegion of interest problem...
by on Feb 2, 2008 at 5:31:23 am

I loaded in an image which was much larger than the project size, and resized down so it so half of it was on screen. I wanted to knock the background out, so I applied a linear colour key and went for the tab to set the region of interest. The problem was, the top left and bottom right indicators didn't produce the rectangle (or oval) where it should have been. Instead, it was much further down the screen. So, I'm left wondering whether this is a bug, or there's something I don't understand about an object's centre and how scaling can effect filters (although it looks more like a bug, because the centring controls for the indicators work according to the project window and not the object).

Any help woud be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave DiPintoRe: Region of interest problem...
by on Feb 4, 2008 at 3:07:52 pm

Hi Joel,

What you're seeing is not a bug. When you apply a filter it defaults to the face level of the layer applied so you will always be affecting the full size media. I believe what you want to do is drag the filter from the face to the track level which will then cause the region of interest to directly relate to what you see in the comp.

For more information on how this works look in the documentation for upstream/downstream filtering.

Let me know if this helps.

Return to posts index

Joel BlackwellRe: Region of interest problem...
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 12:30:33 am

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try tonight... although I did position the track all over the place, wondering if I'd put it on the wrong track. Maybe in my initial confusion I did everything but what you've mentioned! I'll return later with a full report ;)

Return to posts index

Joel BlackwellRe: Region of interest problem...
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 9:16:39 am

Excellent, thanks... that worked a treat. I'm still getting used to how the filtering system works in Boris (it's quite different from the filter systems I've used in other non-compositing programs) but it's starting to click.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved