BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED aspect ratio problem in FCP 5.x

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kieran Matthew
RED aspect ratio problem in FCP 5.x
on Jan 14, 2008 at 3:48:17 pm

Hi Folks,

Have an odd problem that is really causing grief. I have an FCP sequence that is 16:9 with graphics and effects created in RED. All was well for a while, but now if I create a new title, or edit an existing one, RED refuses to adopt the 16:9 aspect. The composite window shows as 4:3.

When applied, however, the effect layout changes rather than the ratio (i.e. things don't get squished, they just appear overlapped for example).

Is there any way to cure this? What caused it in the first place? Help !

Kind regards

Kieran

Mac Pro, OS 10.4.11, FCP 5, RED 4.1.5, QT7.3.1

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
Re: RED aspect ratio problem in FCP 5.x
on Jan 14, 2008 at 8:49:55 pm

Hi Kieran,

You may have the Preview with Square Pixels option enabled in RED. To change this you need to go into the RED effect and look under the Preview pull down menu. Make sure that the Preview with Square Pixels option is not checked.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 15, 2008 at 2:45:06 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for coming back to me.

Although it was engaged, switching of "Preview with Square Pixels" does nothing - even if you apply the effect and then re-edit.

A quick look at the project settings shows the pixel aspect selector greyed-out but set to square pixels.

Any other suggestions?

K

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:13:25 pm

Hi Kieran,

Try changing the "Correct for Aspect Ratio" setting in the FCP Canvas window under the scale drop down. This should make RED look correct and FCP look slightly squished, but won't affect output. You can change this when working in RED then revert for editing in FCP.

The project settings should always be grayed out in RED because those are dictated by the host.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:29:30 pm

Hi Dave,

[Dave DiPinto] "Try changing the "Correct for Aspect Ratio" setting in the FCP Canvas window under the scale drop down. This should make RED look correct and FCP look slightly squished, but won't affect output. You can change this when working in RED then revert for editing in FCP. "

Cool, that seems to work. Thanks!

[Dave DiPinto] "The project settings should always be grayed out in RED because those are dictated by the host. "

Sure, but why is the host (FCP) telling RED that the frame is "Custom Size" with "Square Pixels" when running normally, but if I do your work around above, it reports the frames size as "PAL D1 Widescreen" and aspect ratio as "16:9"? Shouldn't FCP be always telling RED the correct frame size and aspect without needing the workaround?

Any ideas why this happened? It was running normally, (RED working as expected) then all of a sudden it just started with this problem.

Thanks in anticipation

Kieran

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
on Jan 15, 2008 at 4:41:33 pm

Hi Kieran,

Glad to help. I'm not sure why RED would start misbehaving, has anything with your system or workflow changed? There is the possibility that You had this set previously in FCP and the preferences got deleted/rewritten.

As far as the incorrect project size is concerned, it's an unfortunate side effect of being a third party plugin. We can only work with what were given from the host application and sometimes information gets passed incorrectly.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 15, 2008 at 4:59:53 pm

Hi Dave,

I haven't changed anything within FCP that I know of. The only possible factor is that I opened the RED keyframer outside of FCP, whilst FCP was running, just before this kicked off - could that have any baring on this?

It does seem that this is an FCP thing rather than a RED thing, would trashing any preference files help?

Would it help if I was on FCP6? I have the upgrade, but was waiting for this project to be over before I installed it.

Thanks again,

Kieran

Return to posts index

Dave DiPinto
on Jan 15, 2008 at 5:13:11 pm

Hi Kieran,

It's a possibility that launching RED while FCP was running could do this but more likely a change somewhere in FCP since it is the FCP preference that was altered.

Trashing the preferences should show you the problem again since FCP defaults to having the aspect correction on.

There has been a long history of settings in FCP altering the way information is passed to plugins so it's just something to keep an eye on.

Upgrading to FCP 6 won't solve this problem since I tested the workaround there.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:28:42 pm

Hi Kieran,

We're taking a look at this issue to see if we can (a) reproduce it here and (b) arrive at a viable solution. Hang in there - we'll be in touch over the next couple of hours.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jan 15, 2008 at 3:31:00 pm

Hi Peter,

Cool, thanks!

If I can help with more details etc, please just let me know!

K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]