BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Calligraphy Title 3D missing font from old project

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig ReedCalligraphy Title 3D missing font from old project
by on Dec 12, 2007 at 4:07:19 pm

I have an older FCP project from when we were using FCP 4.1 with Title 3D 1.1. I need to work with the project again, however the render files are long gone and upon opening the project, all the Title 3D clips need rendering again.

No big problem, except that the original font that was used for these is also missing from the system, when when I view or render the title clips, they all revert to a default font, like Tahoma or Arial. I have no idea what the original font was, but it was a fancy, non-Apple standard font.
Opening the Title 3D editor window only shows this reverted font choice, as the original font is nowhere to be found.

Thinking I could discover the name of the missing font by exporting the project to XML, I soon discovered that the XML entry for the Title 3D clips show all the Viewer's Controls tab parameters in plain English. BUT the data output from the Title 3D editor window is tagged "privatestate" and is all unreadable gibberish.

Is there any way to decode this coded text that should contain the font name and the text typed in the editor window of Calligraphy/Title 3D? Or at least, is there a workaround for finding what font was used even when the font is currently missing and Title 3D wants to revert to a default font?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Calligraphy Title 3D missing font from old project
by on Dec 13, 2007 at 4:41:19 pm

Hi Craig,

I'm not sure what to tell you.

One suggestion is to attempt an eyeball match via an on-line font database search, but I'm sure you have already thought of that.

I wish I could offer more helpful information but alas there is nothing that we here at Boris can do to help.

Return to posts index

Ed McGowanRe: Calligraphy Title 3D missing font from old project
by on Mar 29, 2008 at 3:01:26 am

I know this is old, but we have this problem at our shop occasionally, and it can be a REAL problem. Recently, it's been discovered to look directly in the project code. If you open the FCP project up in Text Edit, the font is in there, it's just really hard to find.

My suggestion is to use the find feature of text edit to find what your title says, and then its been my experience that the font name will be within the next line of code.

So, when I searched "hey now", I knew that my font name would be proceeding it by a few characters.

I really wish that FCP would just have a warning of what font is missing, the info is obviously in the project. Motion and Live Type do this, I don't understand why FCP doesn't.

Return to posts index

Craig ReedRe: Calligraphy Title 3D missing font from old project
by on Mar 31, 2008 at 1:33:26 pm

Thanks for the response, Ed. We ended up eyeballing the font for a match on that project. But if it comes up again, I will try opening the project file itself, rather than the XML version. Though I have no idea why the XML would have the info bin-hexed, while the project file would have the same info in plain English. That is the reverse of what I would expect.

The bottom line is that we need to do more thorough record-keeping when we archive the projects. Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved