BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

RED and Title 3D issues in FCP S2

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Groenier
RED and Title 3D issues in FCP S2
on Nov 14, 2007 at 4:28:59 pm

I use RED exclusivley for all titles and compositing on my Avids and I love it. But, since I got Final Cut Studio 2 this summer I have been disappointed in the way that both RED and Title 3d have been performing with it.

It seems that anything with an alpha channel has really noisy edges. Even vector text and EPS files. Everything looks fine in the editing interface, but when it plays back to the monitor there is a ghastly combination of ghosting, artifacting, and stair-stepping that makes almost anything I create unacceptable.

Granted, I'm not the most experinced Final Cut guy. Is there some setting I'm missing here? Because this just doesn't make sense. Thanks.

Dave Groenier

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
Re: RED and Title 3D issues in FCP S2
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:45:31 pm

Hi Dave,

Are you by any chance working in 16 bit? Have you tried to generate the title in the RED engine in 8 bit and if so were the results still unsatisfactory?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Dave Groenier
on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:27:42 pm

Peter,

I've seen the 16 or 8-bit mode button in the engine, but I can't find a setting for that in the RED plug in or Title 3d. Is there a setting window I'm missing?

Also, while I've got you here, is there any real benefit to working with 16 bit in the SD, 10-bit Uncompressed codec in FCP, or is it a wash as far as the video quality goes? Thanks.

Dave Groenier

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Nov 15, 2007 at 7:46:42 pm

Hi Dave,

Well currently RED will only operate in 8 bit mode when rendering from within FCP. If you're working standalone in the RED engine of course you can control the bit depth using the 8/16 button in the composite window.

The benefits to working at a higher bit depth are that you will see less banding with gradients and color will pass through the system more cleanly, meaning that there will be fewer roundoffs in the math, with the end result being greater color fidelity from start to finish. How much this matters is subjective - for some pieces, actually the majority of pieces, that you are producing in SD you'll never see the difference with the naked eye.

So getting back to the problem that you reported, we'll have to reproduce this in house on our test systems before we can offer any kind of resolution. With that, if you could please make available to us via ftp the project and a few frames from the render we'll take it from there. Please send the project to us at support@borisfx.com and cc me (peterm@borisfx.com). It might take a few days to sort this out but rest assured we'll work with you on this to find a solution.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]