BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris 9.0.1 Blur causes crash.

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darrell Beck
Boris 9.0.1 Blur causes crash.
on Nov 5, 2007 at 7:45:29 pm

I am using Premiere CS3 and Boris FX 9.0.1. Everything is working correctly, except when using two clips with a Boris blur on them, and I try to disolve between the two. Premiere will crash everytime.

I am not using an editing card. My video card is simply an nVidia 8300. This is a Dell system, 2.33 dual core, 2 gig ram.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Boris 9.0.1 Blur causes crash.
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:04:52 pm

Hi,

Ithink the version of Boris FX that you are using might be a little stale ... can you please try updating to BFX 9.1.5 (which is a free upgrade from http://www.borisfx.com) and let us know if this solves the issue?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
Re: Boris 9.1.5 Blur causes crash.
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:29:48 pm

My mistake. I am (and have been) running 9.1.5...

Sorry.

I've also found that blurs AND glows cause the crashes.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 6, 2007 at 2:36:21 pm

Thanks for the update - we'll take a look to see if we can reproduce the issue in house and if so then we can addresses the problem. It may be on our side or it may be in their (adobe's) side but we won't know until we can reproduce it and see where the problem exists.

Can you please send me the exact steps that cause the crash . I need to instruct engineers to reproduce this and need to provide them with detailed steps. Start from before you apply Boris to the clip.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Nov 6, 2007 at 3:04:07 pm

Hi Peter,

Our project is standard defination, from mini-DV tapes. We are not using a video card, so just capturing with Premiere, Microsoft DV AVI files.

We have a segment that is about 90 seconds long, and includes about 20 different clips. When adding a Boris FX to the clip, and then choosing the BCC Glow filter, everything will render fine UNTIL trying to render a disolve between two clips which have the Boris BCC Glow applied. EVERYTIME, it will crash Permiere.

Instead of using a disolve transition, we tried to simply stack the clips and use the opacity "rubber bands", but this did not help. Where two clips with the filter overlap, we crash.

On a different project, we had the same problem, but the crashes were more intermittent. Sometimes, we could render a transition without a crash, but rarely more than 1 in a row. We simply rendered 1 at a time and saved the project between crashes.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 6, 2007 at 3:07:30 pm

HiDarrell,

Thanks for this information - I think the common thread is where the Boris filters overlap so I'll give this to engineering and ask them to reproduce the issue.

Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Peter.

ps - my personal email is peterm@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

ddipinto
on Nov 6, 2007 at 4:37:12 pm

Hi Darrell,

I just tried to reproduce this problem and couldn't. Just to clarify, I should see the crash if I follow these steps:

1. Cut some clips into Video 1 in a linear fashion and place Adobe native dissolves (Additive, Cross, Dips,...) on the cuts between the clips
2. Apply BorisFX 9.1.5 filter to any of the clips from the Video Effects/3rd party folder in the Effects window
3. When BorisFX launches apply a BCC Glow filter to Video 1 then apply back to Premiere Pro
4. Render the sequence. I should crash when the dissolve begins for the clip(s) with BorisFX applied.

It may be helpful if you could send a copy of your Premiere project or a trimmed down version without media so I can see exactly what you're doing.

You can contact me at ddipinto@borisfx.com

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Justin Parker
on Dec 30, 2007 at 7:03:46 pm

Don't know if this issue has been resolved yet, but I have the same problem. There needs to be a BFX filter on both clips that are part of the dissolve. If BFX is only applied to one clip it will work fine.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Jan 24, 2008 at 9:04:42 pm

This has not been resolved. I still have the same issue, only now with Boris FX 9.2.

I found on the Boris web site a download called BorisFX9.1 OGL OFF. I'm not sure if this is for that problem, or if it works with 9.2. I could not find much info about it on the site.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]