BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC5 FXPlug causing FCP to crash on ETT

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Zimman
BCC5 FXPlug causing FCP to crash on ETT
on Nov 5, 2007 at 4:30:24 pm

First let me say that BCC5 FXPlug is awesome. Everything you could want from an effects package and a huge step foward in the FCP realm since BCC4.

However, we are finding a problem. BCC5 filters (not transitions or generators) are causing FCP to crash when you drag the sequence to the Assemble or Insert Edit section of the Edit to Tape window. Nesting the sequence does not prevent a crash, but exporting a self contained or reference QT movie does.

Is anyone else having this problem?

We are running BCC5.0.1 FX Plug and FCP 6.0.1 on Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC G5s with 8GB of RAM.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: BCC5 FXPlug causing FCP to crash on ETT
on Nov 5, 2007 at 5:13:53 pm

Hi Sam,

Delighted to hear that you're enjoying the product. We too are very interested in hearing from others that may also have encountered the problem that is afflicting your system. I'll see if we can reproduce the issue in our labs and if so then there is a strong possibility that we may be able to generate a fix for the problem. It is also possible that this is not something that we can fix but something that we may have to bounce over to Apple, but again, we won't know until we fully understand the scope of the problem, which means reproducing this on one of our test systems in our labs.

Can you please provide us with the exact steps that you take to reproduce the issue?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Nov 6, 2007 at 3:32:13 pm

Thanks for responding Peter. Ok here we go, freshly rebooted system.
-create new project
-select AJA Kona3 NTSC 8bit Uncompressed Easy Setup
-create a new sequence
-put :30 of NTSC bars in the timeline (from 00:59:00;02 to 00:59:30;01)
-apply BCC Gaussian Blur (default settings)
-save
-render
-save
-open edit to tape window (laying off to Digibeta, tape already blacked)
-enter 00:59:00;02 as the in point
-drag the sequence to the assemble edit portion of the edit to tape window
-FCP crash

System Specs:
BCC5.0.1 FX Plug and FCP 6.0.1 on a Dual 2.3Ghz PowerPC G5s with 8GB of RAM, AJA Kona3 (v4 Driver), 3.64 TB XRAID RAID5+0 Dual FiberChannel

I hope that is all in information you will need to recreate the glitch. Please let me know if you need any more information or if you find something. For now my workaround is to export the whole sequence as a QT reference movie and then put that in it's own timeline.

Thank You
-Sam

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 6, 2007 at 3:38:20 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for sending along these steps which will help us in troubleshooting the issue. Engineering is taking a look at it and I'll let you know what they have to say just as soon as they get back to me.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 6, 2007 at 4:38:24 pm

Hi Sam,

Bad news I'm afraid - the problem is a known issue and is not on our end. There is nothing that we can do to correct this ... it is something that must be addressed by Apple in FCP.

Sorry,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Nov 6, 2007 at 7:17:19 pm

Thanks for checking. Let me guess, PowerPC/Intel thing? I feel Apple has really left us in Wallmart parking lot, so to speak. Just for future reference, is there somewhere on the Boris website where known issues are posted?

Thanks again for all your help.
-Sam

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 6, 2007 at 7:30:40 pm

Hi Sam,

Well it's basically when they (Apple) moved from using the AE API to the FxPlug API inside of Final Cut Studio 2. As it's a new API they are still in the process of refining it so there may be a few things such as the real time effects problem that may crop up but I'm sure they will attend to this sooner rather than later.

We post all known issue with all of our software releases as release notes with the software installer. I believe this issue was noted. We don't offer these lists on our web site but that's a suggestion that I'll bring to the group. Thanks for mentioning that.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:15:25 pm

Peter,

So did this FCP upgrade that got released yesterday fix the fudimental problem with FXPlug? Is BCC5FXPlug ready to go, or should we wait on the upgrade till you guys release a patch?

Thanks,
Sam

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Nov 15, 2007 at 3:40:44 pm

Hi Sam,

We have not yet tested the FCP update in our labs and cannot say whether this update will fix the ETT crash that you have been experiencing with FCP and FxPlug filters. We can test this next week though and will certainly let you know whether or not the issue was addressed with this update as soon as we have had a chance to test it.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Nov 20, 2007 at 4:01:57 pm

Hi Sam,

The problem was fixed by Apple with the FCP 6.0.2 update.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]