BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

BCC--First Boris & Lost

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NateW
BCC--First Boris & Lost
on Oct 15, 2007 at 8:10:04 pm

I'm a mostly self-taught editor who has been working on an older Avid and just upgraded to an AXP that came with BCC. I was lost in trying to figure it out so I bought the training DVD from Boris. The DVD seems to assume I've been using Boris my entire life. Never once does it say, "Okay, to build an effect here's step 1..." maybe I'm really dense, but I don't have a clue what is going on here. The keyframes don't seem to work like it seems they should and all the DVD is telling me is that there are all kinds of really cool sliders and buttons to explore.

I also ordered a DVD to help figure out Marquee. To my horror I have since learned the same host does both DVDs, so expect to see me back here soon on that subject as well....

HELP!

Return to posts index

Vik Narayan
Re: BCC--First Boris & Lost
on Oct 16, 2007 at 12:05:02 am

NateW,

Sorry to hear about your experience with the training DVD. If you can tell me the effect you are trying to create, I can try and help. Over the years, BCC has evolved into a rather complex set of tools, and any training video can go only so deep without running into hours for each plugin (times 180 for the lot).

But there are a lot of users on this forum who may be able to help you as you go as well. Peter McAuley from Boris FX frequents this forum and can always give you tips "from the source."

Vik Narayan

Return to posts index

NateW
on Oct 16, 2007 at 1:25:02 pm

I'd be happy to create any effect. Okay, let's do this. Let's say I want to create a simple light sweep over a title which is above a motion background. I create the generic title in the AVX title tool, save it, and place it in my timeline over a Jumpback track. I then drag the desired effect onto the text on the timeline and open up my effect editor and (perhaps the ONLY thing I learned from the DVD) check the "Apply to Title Matte" box.

Now I go into my effect editor. I place a keyframe at the start and end of my effect, and click on the first keyframe because this is where I want to start. Now, I play with every slider and button I can find and NOTHING HAPPENS. I can load a preset, and it simply changes the look style of the matte. I'm having this similar problem in any effect I try to work with. Adjust sliders like crazy with absolutely no change.

Obviously, I am missing a very basic and simplistic function. I have been through the DVD, the attached PDF file and everything else I can find and nowhere can I find any explaining of what this basic missing function might be.

I have also tried to replicate the EXACT functions as shown on ther DVD, however the instruction are on an older version of BCC than what I have and I often have to go hunting for what the host is talking about. I tried working on the Displacement Map fx as shown on the DVD, but the functions are either very different, or again, they managed to leave out some very simplistic basic command under the assumption that I should know something already. I don't, and despite playing with a mutltitude of buttons, sliders, settings and parameters, nothing happens....

Return to posts index

Vik Narayan
on Oct 16, 2007 at 11:17:11 pm

NateW,

In trying to recreate what you were doing, BCC Light Sweep worked like it should. I'll try and dig a little deeper to see where you may be running into problems. In the meantime, one very obvious question, and forgive me if it belittles your intelligence but, did you remember to Alt+drag the BCC effect into your timeline?

Vik Narayan

Return to posts index

NateW
on Oct 17, 2007 at 1:49:07 pm

Well now that does seem to have some effect. alt+drag. Never have I ever need to use alt+drag. Just drag. The DVD and the accompanying pdf instructional file all just say "drag".

This might be the bit of info that gets me over the hump!

I'll play some more and see what happens....

Return to posts index

WilliamBusby
on Oct 18, 2007 at 7:46:10 am

Actually, with title effects in BCC, you're only supposed to drag (no alt/drag... it's NOT a typical nested effect) the effect on top on the title created with Avid's title tool. Unless I'm mistaken... it's been quite a while since I've done this.

Bill

Return to posts index

NateW
on Oct 18, 2007 at 12:24:09 pm

When I alt+drag the effect onto a title, I don't need to click the "apply matte to title" box. However this also discolors my background layer--in this case the generic jumpback I placed in for testing purposes. At first I just backed out of it because of the discoloration, but I played with a couple things then rendered. Once rendered the background looked fine.

I also see that you cannot set parameters by clicking on the keyframes from within the composer window, they must be done in the effect editor window. If you click on a keyframe in the composer window then change a parameter, it makes the change globally. I'm not sure if that's a Boris quirk or just a characteristic of the new XP. If it's a Boris "thing" once again, it would have been nice if that had been explained in either the "tutorial" DVD and/or the instruction. Having known that juicy bit of knowledge would have saved me days of frustration and a lot of not-safe-for-work expletives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]