BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

FX 9.1 Love it, Hate it.

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Turlak1
FX 9.1 Love it, Hate it.
on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:28:58 am

I love FX 9.1, at least I think I do. I am getting beautiful previews of effects, but when I output them I am running into all kinds of trouble, and because I have an unsupported editing program I feel like I am alone.

I bought FX based on an article from videomaker magazine, that indicated that FX was a stand-alone product. It is not. That article is posted on the Boris website with no clear indicator that there is an incorrect fact in the article. Additionally I looked through the instruction manuals and found references to rendering that indicated there was a stand alone option. I realize now that this was a reference to RED, not FX.

I figured I would be ok, because I was going to buy Vegas 7 in the next few weeks and that would take care of the situation. Then Sony came out with Vegas 8, not as yet supported.

My biggest fear is that with CS3, Final Cut 6, and Vegas 8 that Boris will release FX 10 and I will have to upgrade before I really have had a chance to use it. Frankly, if that happens I will simply not use Boris.

I am frustrated because I know what this program is capable of, and what type of work I could do with it, if only I could make it work with the equipment I have. I love what I see in my head, and I hate that I can't get it onto my machine.

I would love it if someone from the company would look into puting a note on the website in clear language that FX is not a stand alone product to. It would certainly make me feel better about the product.

Tony Noon
Noon Productions
Andover MA

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: FX 9.1 Love it, Hate it.
on Sep 20, 2007 at 1:50:33 pm

Hi Tony,

Let's see what we can do to help ease your frustration with the product. But first a brief explanation ... FX is a plug-in, but the application can also be used standalone (by running the Keyframer) on any machine without a license to generate settings files and create effects. FX does not include a render option and relies on the host to complete all render tasks.

So ... how can I help you to get the most out of your purchase? I'd like to see you working with the product inside of Vegas, generating effects just like you had envisioned when you made the purchase. Please write me either publicly on this list or in private [peterm@borisfx.com] and let me know what is not working for you. I was unaware that Vegas 8 was released and if we are not currently supported in that host level I suspect that we will add support with a free upgrade very soon. We're that kind of a company - customers first and a fast turnaround in response to reported problems, whenever possible.

Meanwhile, is there any way that you can use Vegas 7 while you wait for the patch for Vegas 8?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:27:00 pm

Hi Tony,

I just checked with engineering and QA and they have run a couple of quick tests that show that BFX 9 is indeed operating as expected in Vegas 8. We have not yet had time to run a full fledged test with this host configuration but we have plans for this in the pipeline and will issue a point release to correct any issues that we discover that are on our end if necessary.

Meanwhile I hope you enjoy using the BFX software in the Vegas 8 host system and please feel free to contact me if you run into any problems.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tech Diver
on Sep 20, 2007 at 3:57:13 pm

Peter,

So far, those of us who own Red 4.x have successfully gotten it to work with Vegas 8. For those of us who upgraded from Vegas 7, we did have to manually copy the DLLs from the plugin directory. But other than that, it was uneventful.

Peter

Return to posts index

Turlak1
on Sep 28, 2007 at 4:19:46 am

This makes me feel much better about my purchase. Thank you for looking into that for me. I will be purchasing Vegas soon, and I am also looking at either purcasing Graffiti or upgrading to RED next year.

I would like to say I disagree with your reasoning on keyframer being a "stand alone" product. It is a wonderful product and does exactly what it is supposed to do, but without being able to render out a movie it is not that useful in my situation. As a consumer, I was extremely confused by the advertising and by the tearm "stand alone".

I am not bringing this up to complain, I love the product and what it is capable of. I just am having a hard time adjusting to the learning curve, and I am not sure if it is a setting or if it is an incompatibillity in my editing software.

this is the situation:

I am adding FX 9 as a filter to video on my timeline.(Regular DV footage captured with a Matrox RT 2000 card.((Yes, I am way behind the times.))) I have created a spline shape around my object and it is perfect. I move it into the mask track on the timeline and that cuts out the object nicely. Everything is exactly the way I want it, sharp clean perfect. I hit apply, and then hit enter to render the effect on the timeline in Premiere, and eveything in the out line is blurry. I have checked and the global blur is off. I can't figure it out.

Thank you for your time and your consideration of my situation.

Tony Noon
Noon Productions

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Sep 28, 2007 at 12:52:35 pm

Hi Tony,

We'd like to replicate the result that you are seeing in house so that we can offer you a solution - would it be possible for you to send me the FX project settings file so that we may take a look at it? You can send the file to me at and I'd suggest zipping the file before sending it through the email. No need for the media, just the settings file.

Meanwhile, you might want to experiment in changing the "better quality field rendering" setting in the project window to see if that changes the result.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Turlak1
on Sep 28, 2007 at 1:50:31 pm

I Figured it out. The issue was in Premiere. I went back to the documentation from FX 8 on the Boris site and used the premiere 6.0 setting and changed my fields to "none" and that solved my issue. Thank you for your time.
Tony Noon

Return to posts index

Peter McAuley
on Sep 28, 2007 at 1:53:41 pm

Hey Tony,

Delighted to hear that you were able to figure that out. And thanks for letting me know. If you run into any problems with the software just drop us a line.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]