BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Boris FX - Have I switched off something?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drbgaijin
Boris FX - Have I switched off something?
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:33:37 am

Have used Boris FX to draw a route on a clip in Liquid Edition 6.1
Now upgraded to Avid Liquid 7.2.
Going through the same workflow with boris FX and a route track done in the paint mode I can see the finished animated route playback in Boris clip viewer, but when I "Apply" the effect and jump back to Liquid - only 1 frame has been applied to the whole clip.
In other words there is no animation, only a still picture overlaid.
Have I switched off something in Boris (e.g. a "render only 1 frame" switch or something?)
2 other users of Liquid report that it works with one of them, the other user is getting to same problem that I have.
Regards,
Douglas

Douglas
(Kumamoto, Japan)

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Boris FX - Have I switched off something?
on Sep 17, 2007 at 1:23:23 pm

Hi,

I'd like to assist you in solving this issue. Can you please tell me which version of Boris FX you are using? Meanwhile, the first thing that I would try is to delete the .ini file and try to see if this solves the problem. The next step is to download and install the latest version of Boris FX product from the BorisFX website to see if this resolves the problem.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

drbgaijin
on Sep 17, 2007 at 10:20:12 pm

Thank you for the suggestions, Peter

I have Boris 9.1.5.070615
I have difficulty navigating Boris site and finding latest versions etc.
What is the latest version number?

I tried deleting the .ini file , but that did not help.

Now I have tried Boris with 3 different systems and Liquid.
3 different video cards.
In all cases I can go from the Liquid timeline to Edit BorisFX... I can make the effect. Playback the finished effect in Boris.
But when I hit the "Apply" button - The rendered result has only one frame of the effect applied to the whole clip. In other words no animation.

On a system with an older AGP Radeon card I get no error message on starting Boris.
On a system with an NVidia PCie GForce 7900GS I get an error message about open GL and that the system video card driver is not supported by Boris!
On the 3rd system with an ASUS PCie 2900XT card I get the message that the card is not supported.

I find it most annoying that Boris has problems with 3 different cards and their drivers.

I did find a download called OGL off..... or something.
at one point is says: "In its place put in the downloaded OGL Off BorisFX9.1.ini file (after un-zipping it)"
Where is the zipped OGL.ini file?
Is it in the tutorial on that page?
I downloaded the Tutorial.zip, but on trying to unxip I got a CRC error!!!!

Peter, I have had great hopes for Boris.... but the more I get involved the less and less I like it, its idiosyncrasies and the unintuitive Boris site.... that sends you round in circles ......

Hope you can change my attitude....

Regards,
Douglas

Douglas
(Kumamoto, Japan)

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 18, 2007 at 4:18:36 pm

Hi Douglas,

We're working on this and I hope to be able to offer a solution for you (or at the very least an explanation as to the cause of the issue) before the end of day today.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

drbgaijin
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:43:51 am

Peter,
I appreciate the time and effort you are putting in trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I can add another video card to the list that is showing this problems. Here is an extract from a message a UK friend of mine posted elsewhere:

Douglas, I have just tried the write-on / reveal starting from within Liquid. Everything works fine in Boris 9.1 but when the apply button is clicked and the full render in AL is complete the effect does not change at all. The effect is stuck at a random position through the reveal, I have tried several times.
I am using ATI X800 graphics card.

Clarification: depending on where your timeline is positioned in Boris when you hit the Apply button will determine the position of the reveal.

Regards,
Douglas

Douglas
(Kumamoto, Japan)

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 19, 2007 at 1:01:19 pm

Hi Douglas,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention - we have reproduced the issue and have assigned an engineer to work on a resolution, which will most likely arrive in the form of a point update to the Boris product line.

From what engineering has told me, the problem is that something in the API that is used by Liquid was broken in a recent release (actually we think the problem might extend back as far as Liquid version 6.1), which means that we will need to work with Avid's engineering team to see exactly what is broken and how it can be fixed so that we can once again lock in and get the correct project size and frame in time.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

drbgaijin
on Sep 19, 2007 at 1:18:31 pm

I am glad to have been of help in finding this bug.
Thanks again for looking into the problem so promptly.

Now I will just have to be patient until I see the results from your side....
Regards,
Douglas

Douglas
(Kumamoto, Japan)

Return to posts index

drbgaijin
on Oct 19, 2007 at 7:22:09 am

Peter,
My patience is fine.
No pressure from here.
Today is the 1 month anniversary of the reporting of the problem.....
If there is any progress report about the problem, that would be a nice way of breaking up the waiting time.
Regards,
Douglas

Douglas
(Kumamoto, Japan)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]