BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC 5.0.1 Crashes PPro CS3 Renders and AME Won't Work

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeron Coolman
BCC 5.0.1 Crashes PPro CS3 Renders and AME Won't Work
on Sep 9, 2007 at 2:25:59 pm

I'm running a dual quad core Xeon w/ 8 gigs of ram, an FX 1500, Win XP Pro, and the latest Quadro drivers (as of yesterday).

When I put a "Puffy Rays" filter on a clip in a sequence and try to render it, PPro CS3 crashes to desktop (just blinks out of existence) during the render video phase.

When I try to export a sequence with the same filter in it, Adobe Media Encoder just disappears and comes right back when I click the OK button (it does nothing).

The sequence is created with native HDV in an Adobe HDV preset. When I take the BCC filter out, everything works fine.

I haven't had time to try other BCC filters yet to determine if it is all BCC or just that specific one.

It works fine until trying to render; e.g. timeline performance scrubbing works.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
Re: BCC 5.0.1 Crashes PPro CS3 Renders and AME Won't Work
on Sep 17, 2007 at 12:49:28 pm

I tested some more and found out that ALL BCC filters don't work in PPro CS3 on any HDV timeline. Render crashes the computer and AME does nothing when you click OK to output.

Remove all BCC filters from the sequence and everything works great.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Is anyone successfully using BCC 5.0 on HDV clips in CS3?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 17, 2007 at 12:50:42 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some issues rendering out with the tool suite that you are using; I'm going to see if I can replicate the problem in our labs so that we can arrive at a solution which will enable you to continue to use the BCC filters in the configuration that you have listed.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 17, 2007 at 2:41:19 pm

Thanks Peter. I also filed a bug report.

The Adobe Media Encoder issue is weird. You click OK to export from the AME dialog and the dialog box flashes once; e.g. disappears then immediately re-appears.

I haven't had a chance to try another type of media other than HDV. I'm going to try that next.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Sep 18, 2007 at 6:17:28 pm

Hi Jeron,

Just wanted to let you know that this is still in the queue and we have not forgotten about it. The first round of testing showed that using BCC 5 with Premiere Pro 2 on Windows works as expected - next we'll test with Premiere Pro CS3.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 18, 2007 at 7:19:26 pm

Thanks alot Peter.

Be sure to test it with HDV media.

I haven't had a chance to test BCC 5.0 with PPro 2.0, yet. I have used BCC 4.0 with PPro 2.0 quite a lot ;) (And BCC 4.0 AVX with Xpress Pro too)

Return to posts index

John Lafauce jr.
on Sep 21, 2007 at 3:24:34 pm

Hello,

This is John from Boris FX QA. Boris asked me to reply to the thread here concerning this crashing bug. We have not been able to reproduce the crash in PP CS3 based on the information provided to us. That does not mean it is not happening, it just means we may not have an identical test environment as you do. In order to investigate further, we would need to know a few things about this scenario that is causing you problems:

1) Which HDV Adobe preset is affected, or is it all of them (HDV 1080i25, HDV 1080i30, HDV 1080p25, HDV 1080p30, HDV 720p25, HDV 720p30)?

2) How long is the clip in question?

3) Is the clip that the filter is applied to in the middle of a long sequence? If so, how long is the sequence?

4) Is the BCC Rays Puffy filter applied to the clip by itself or stacked with other BCC or native Adobe filters?

5) Which version of BCC 5 are you using? (e.g. Beta, ESD, BCC 5.0 or BCC 5.0.1)

6) Are you rendering in High, Draft or Auto quality?

To expedite this faster, please send me your project at johnl@borisfx.com. If you want to include your media, please let me know you are doing so and ftp it to:

ftp://monet.borisfx.com/support

U: support
P: borisfx

OR

ftp://support:borisfx@monet.borisfx.com/support

Thanks again for the heads up and for your time. We will do our best to resolve this issue.

Kind regards,

John

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 21, 2007 at 6:44:59 pm

Thanks alot John. I'll send you an example ASAP.

Return to posts index

Jeron Coolman
on Sep 23, 2007 at 8:21:48 pm

John, I can't duplicate the problem any more.

I created a new project with a sequence and a 10 second clip and I can't get it to break, so I tried to open my project that I had problems with and it won't open any more.

I guess the problem has to do with that project being bad. PPro CS3 is so unbelievably unstable when it comes to HDV (pretty much unusable, actually), that I'm not surprised if the problem is just CS3 and not BCC.

If I can duplicate the problem again and send you an example, I will.

Thanks for the help,

Jeron

Return to posts index

John Lafauce jr.
on Sep 24, 2007 at 12:22:00 pm

Hi Jeron~

Yeah, I have also seen Premiere (2.0 and CS3) behave erratically and unpredicatably with large media like HDV, especially longer clips. That's why one of the questions I asked was how long your clip was, your sequence, etc. That said, it may not all be Adobe and that is why we are paying close attention to reports like this so we can rectify any bugginess as it happens.

Thanks for the update and let us know if anything else out of the ordinary happens.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]