BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Creating ice effect in RED????

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
advresCreating ice effect in RED????
by on Sep 6, 2007 at 4:41:01 pm

Hey guys...

I am working on a logo for a film and it needs to frost over and turn to icicles. Any idea on how I would do this? I demo'd the panopticum IcePattern filter for AE but it isn't seeming to do what I want.

Any idea of a way to fudge this. I am at my wits end and may be forced to export a few hundred photoshop comps to make this happen stop animation style which is NOT what I want to do with my time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

vik narayanRe: Creating ice effect in RED????
by on Sep 11, 2007 at 6:40:40 pm

If you're using Red, you could try this.

If you have the logo artwork in EPS, you can import it into Red and convert it into an extruded spline (if you want 3D that is). Set your logo colors etc. If you don't have an eps logo, you can trace it with the pen tool.

Next, duplicate the Spline extrude layer, nest the two Spline Extrusions into a 3D container, and increase the XYZ size of the new layer ever so slightly while maintaining position. This will be your frost. In the materials tab, change each surface to glass, and change the default green color to a very very light shade of blue, bordering on pure white.

In the Bump map tab, set Bump height to about 8.5, Source to procedural, Type to rock, X Scale 200, Y Scale 600, Res 1024,
Detail 100. Play with the lighting. Some bright ambience with a strong spot side light should give you a pretty good effect.

Now play with the opacity and specular intensity of the glass faces. You will now have a 3D logo with an outer "skin" that will have a snowy texture. By playing with the opacity, you'll be able to get a "Frost." Be sure to add that "icing up sound effect." And let me know if I was wasting your time :)

Vik Narayan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved