BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED 4.1 & FCP 6

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jsettl
RED 4.1 & FCP 6
on Aug 27, 2007 at 7:35:08 pm

I'm having some issues with RED 4.1 and FCP 6. I'm on an octo-Mac with 8 gigs of RAM.

I'm cutting two versions of a spot. I built a title using RED on version 1 of the spot. On version 2 I have tried copying and pasting the RED effect from the Video Filters window of FCP; I've tried saving the effects as a Boris project, then opening that project in version 2; I've tried copying the individual tracks from one Boris timeline to the other.

The problem: The clip in version 2 is a couple of seconds longer than in version 1. Even though I extend all the tracks in the RED timeline and can successfully preview the entire clip in RED, once I watch it in FCP the video and the title disappear halfway through the clip.

I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Jim

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: RED 4.1 & FCP 6
on Aug 28, 2007 at 1:52:33 pm

Hi,

Launch RED, then open the Keyframe Palette" (Windows pulldown menu item) and look at the "Keep Keyframe Time" option. You may need to change this.

A keyframe generated at frame 5 will remain at frame 5 with this feature disabled. If you want to extend the effect over the new timeline then enable the "Keep Keyframe Time" feature and the keyframes will be distributed over the new timeline.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 28, 2007 at 2:01:38 pm

Hi,

Actually re-reading this it may be misleading. Here's a better explanation, copied from the RED on-line help system:

The Keep Keyframe Time checkbox preserves the absolute positioning of keyframes when the duration of the effect is changed. Deselecting this option preserves the relative positioning of keyframes when the duration is changed.

For example, if you create an animated effect that is three seconds long, then change the effect duration to five seconds with Keep Keyframe Time selected, the keyframes retain their original positions with respect to the effect timecode.

If you change the duration of the same effect with Keep Keyframe Time deselected, the keyframes shift to reflect the effect

Return to posts index

jsettl
on Aug 28, 2007 at 2:53:10 pm

Thanks, Peter! This seemed to solve my problem.

But it brings up another question! I had purposedly selected the "Keep Keyframe Time" when I applied the effect to the new, longer clip because I wanted all the elements to animate at the same rate but just hold static on screen for the remainder of the longer clip. After I applied the effect, I went into the RED timeline and extended all the tracks so they lasted through the end of the timeline. The preview in RED showed the parameters doing exactly what I wanted them to do.

I'm assuming that the reason my video was cutting out was because the end keyframes still reflected the shorter effect even though I had dragged those keyframes to the end of the longer timeline.

Am I to understand that selecting "Keep Keyframe Time" doesn't allow you to drag the last keyframe on a track to the end of a longer RED timeline? That seems to defeat the purpose of keeping keyframe time, so I'm sure I'm still confused about something here!

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 28, 2007 at 4:26:46 pm

Hi Jim,

Even with the Keep Keyframe Time function enabled, you can still manipulate the keyframes manually by dragging them. You need to be sure about what you are dragging though - and that the media is set to cover the effect for the new length of the composition. Twirling down and looking through the timeline is always a good idea to ensure that everything that you need to extend the length of the comp has been set correctly.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

jsettl
on Aug 29, 2007 at 3:03:11 am

Peter:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm still confused as to why disabling the "Keep Keyframe Time" button solved my problem.

I was careful to make sure that tracks were extended all the way to the end of the timeline, and I was able to preview the entire effect in the RED timeline. It was only when the clip was rendered in FCP that the video went to black.

Anyway, my problem is solved for now, thanks to you, and I got the project out by deadline!

Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]