BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

4.02 presets not working right in 4.14

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Cole
4.02 presets not working right in 4.14
on Aug 6, 2007 at 2:39:29 pm

I opened a project that I had created using boris red 4.02 (within FCP 5.1 Mac G5). I used TV snow transition and worked fine. Now when I need to reopen the project to make some changes on my MacBook Pro with Red 4.14. The snow doesn't look right. It is diagonal lines. So I tried reapplying the preset which is included in the 4.14 version and I get the same result. Can you please help me figure out what I need to do to get this to work right.

Mike Cole

Mike Cole

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: 4.02 presets not working right in 4.14
on Aug 6, 2007 at 2:49:13 pm

Hi,

I just opened the same TV Snow transition effect from the Library Browser and have discovered the culprit - it's the nested (and obsolete) Luma Pixel Noise filter. If you replace this with BCC Spray Paint Noise the effect should work. You need to replace the filter in each of the three tracks that is in the effect.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mike Cole
on Aug 6, 2007 at 3:11:50 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will try it. What is done in 4.1.5? I just saw that you have that on your website.

Mike Cole

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2007 at 3:30:36 pm

We added a few fixes for some issues that had been discovered post the 4.1.4 release and made this available as 4.1.5. I would suggest upgrading to the latest version - from where you are (4.1.4) it's completely free for you to do so.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on Aug 7, 2007 at 3:06:10 pm

[peter mcauley] "
We added a few fixes for some issues that had been discovered post the 4.1.4 release and made this available as 4.1.5."

So how do you tell which version you are really installing? I spent 1/2 hour downloading what is called the 4.15 Updater (234.7MB) installed it and a Get Info on the Red Engine still shows it as being 4.1 from January 12, 2007.

I've always found it difficult to keep up with version numbers with Boris products... not to mention the fact that I have literally thousands of Boris files from previous versions that never get uninstalled... how about some uninstallers.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 7, 2007 at 4:49:12 pm

Hi Harley,

When you launch the RED Engine, you should see a splash screen that incorporates a programatically generated number. This number contains the date of issue and version of the software. And example of this might be observed as such:

This translates into the following:

RED version 4.1.1 with an issue date of January 12th, 2007 (YYMMDD)

or:

which is translated into:

RED version 4.1.4 with an issue date of June 12th, 2007.

This is the same information that is displayed when you select "About Boris RED" from the pulldown menu within the RED application on the Mac and under the Help menu on Windows.

Uninstallers are a part of the installation mechanism and not something that is programmed by us. On Windows it's easy, because the installer Install Shield supports this function, however on the Mac we use the Vise installer, which does not offer this an option for our applications. This means that while it is an automated process on Windows, removing our applications on the Mac remains a manual process.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
on Aug 7, 2007 at 5:21:49 pm

Thanks Peter!

I knew there would be another way to find the current version and an explanation about uninstallers... just needed to know.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 7, 2007 at 5:33:19 pm

You're most welcome Harley - I'm glad that helped.

And if we do manage to write code so that we can make an uninstaller for the Mac we'll be sure to include it in a future release but for the time being because Vise only supports the uninstall option for hardcoded paths we can't use it with our software.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]