BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Transparent backgrounds in RED 4.0

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GreenMartian
Transparent backgrounds in RED 4.0
on Aug 5, 2007 at 3:13:53 am

Keeping in mind that I'm new to RED, I am having problems creating and importing files with a transparent background into Vegas.

I have created a simple 15 second 3D extruded text clip in the stand alone RED engine. Then I import the file into Vegas. Unfornaturely, it has a black background, which I don't want. I have tried several export settings in RED, and always end up with the same results, a black background. I've tried exporting as .mov, & .avi. Also, I've tried all of the 5 different alpha settings in the movie export settings box (straight, premultiplied black, premultiplied white, etc.) Still, get the same results, black background.

I assume a transparent (zero alpha) background can be exported and imported into Vegas. Any suggestions on what I might be missing will be greatly appreciated.

GreenMartian.

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
Re: Transparent backgrounds in RED 4.0
on Aug 5, 2007 at 11:49:30 am

when you export it are you selecting the color space "millions of colors +" as your color space? Also what type of file are you exporting, for importing into Vegas?

Return to posts index

gensi1
on Aug 5, 2007 at 4:47:24 pm

When I needed to export a show opening these were my settings:

Under Compression Settings

Compression type: None
Compressor Depth: Millions of Colors+

Movie Export Settings

I use Straight Alpha

Hope this helps.

Gensi

Return to posts index

stephenlnoe
on Aug 5, 2007 at 5:44:44 pm

But what are you exporting? MOV? TGA sequence? what....

Use TGA sequence with millions +. I don't know of any NLE that won't use it.

Return to posts index

mossman
on Aug 9, 2007 at 8:26:04 pm

I'm having the same problem with FX 9. I am trying to add a filter effect to my text, and the background is black instead of transparent. Any ideas on why? I am using Vegas 6.0.

Return to posts index

GreenMartian
on Aug 9, 2007 at 10:49:16 pm

I think I've tried all of the different formats. I've saved as .mov file with millions+, and I still get a black background. I've tried no compression also. I've also seen video tuts that suggest "JEPG 2000" and "animation" compression settings to get transparent backgrounds, but that didn't work for me.

For now I'm putting the background I want while I'm in RED, however, that's not at all what I want to do. I realy want to have the background added while in the NLE (I use Vegas), that way, I can work with it should the need arise.

GreenMartian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]