BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Create Auto Photo Montage

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MillsCreate Auto Photo Montage
by on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:06:52 pm

I recently saw a tutorial on the Cow using AE to automatically create a photo montage from photos. Since I don't have AE yet, but have Red 4, is there a way to create a similar effect? I'm looking to create some kind of template or automatic system where I can import the images and have the program do the rest for me - push in and out, dissolve and have the project done quickly.

Return to posts index

theBorisRe: Create Auto Photo Montage
by on Jul 2, 2007 at 4:45:38 pm

For a moment I thought that you got me... as I was looking for a way to easily sequence multiple tracks in time and then I thought of a very simple and easy to use solution: Use the Title Container! This feature works well for any kind of stills including digital photos. Here is what you can do:

Drop a bunch of stills right in your RED timeline. You can even drag them from the desktop right in the timeline window.

Wrap them with a Title Container (select all, Track/New Title Container menu pick),

With the container selected, change the animation to any of the available type: Fade, Shuffle, Roll, etc.

That would create basic trimming and keyframing of the image tracks. Now you can drag them out of the Title container while keeping the keyframes which are automaticall created for you by the Title Container. Feel free to delete the Title Container track if you wish.

At this point you may want to adjust the over all scale (if your pictures are bigger than project size) - select all, change default interpolation to Const, move scale X down to fit your screen size. Note that scaling will not work well if you chose Zoom as Title Animation option since it is based on automated scaling of layers. I just tried the above with Fade and it worked well.

And of course you are welcome to keframe every track for scale, anchor. Another good technique is to save one pre-keyframed track in the library browser or the project window and insert it in your timeline one by one. That will be more labor intesive especially for a large number of images.

For a real Ken Burns effect however you will need our new BCC 5 Pan and Zoom filter as demonstrated at NAB 2007.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved