BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Upgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dmichaelUpgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 3:00:25 pm

Hello,

I hope someone can please help me out. We just bought Final Cut Studio 2.0 and upgraded our editing station to FCP 6.0, but after doing so all our Boris effects (Continuum Complete 4.0 & Final Effects Complete 4.0.2) disappeared from our Effects Window. Strange note though, we had previously placed several effects within our Favorite Window and they still appear and can be used and they work perfectly. We have thrown away our preferences and cache files, plus removed all Boris files and completely reinstalled both entire sets and they still don't appear. I sure hope someone can please help me out. My boss is gonna kill me if I can't get this project finished by deadline.

Thank You,
-Doren

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Upgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:03:04 pm

Hi Doren,

Not to worry, I believe I can help you.

In understanding what has happened to your system, FCP no longer officially supports the After Effects API, which is the gateway through which filters (including BCC 4) can exist in host applications that support this, such as FCP versions prior to 6.0. They have moved and have developed their own new proprietary API titled FxPlug, which all developers must reprogram their effects to use. Needless to say, it's a mammoth task. We expect to have our FxPlug filters ready any time now, but let's get back to the problem at hand, which is to get your system up and running.

Go back and delete the obj cache and preference files from the Final Cut Pro User Data directory (total of three files), then with caps lock enabled, launch FCP. Once the launch is complete, you then need to quit FCP. Then you can disable the caps lock and relaunch FCP. Your BCC 4 filters will now appear. Having said that, we are not officially offering support for BCC 4 filters in FCP 6 and instead ask that users upgrade to the FxPlug version when that becomes available.

Please let me know how you make out with this. Feel free to email me directly if you like at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Peter McAuleyRe: Upgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared
by on Jun 27, 2007 at 9:57:23 pm

Upon review, I'd like to clarify and correct my posting regarding Apple and the AE API.

Contrary to my previous posting, Apple have actually made several enhancements to the AE API for FCP 6 and indeed we completely support the Continuum product for users that wish to use BCC 4 within that host environment.

Perhaps in the future I should think and then send instead of the other way around. :)

I offer my apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Lee BergerRe: Upgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared
by on Jun 28, 2007 at 2:18:37 pm

Doren,
Were you able to resolve your issue?

Thanks,

Lee

Lee Berger
http://www.leebergermedia.com

Return to posts index

dmichaelRe: Upgraded to FCP 6.0 and all my Boris Effects disappeared
by on Jun 28, 2007 at 2:41:01 pm

I was able to partially resolve my issue with the above information along with a technician from Boris. I had to install 2 updates also: FEC 4.0.3 & BCC 4.1 (it is a little confusing on Boris's update page because you kinda think the updates are for After Effects, but they use the same "engine" apparently as FCP does) - but the FEC update did not work and as it stands now does not appear that it will work until Boris releases the FxPlug update if I understand correctly, which is now a new native feature of FCP 6.0, However, the BCC update and info did work perfectly and I am now able to see my filters once more and apply them to clips. Thanks everyone!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]