BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

2.5D-ish possible with Red?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
WilliamBusby2.5D-ish possible with Red?
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 7:19:46 am

Is this possible using Red? I've attempted several simple layers without success.

I've searched high & low in the forum & no luck.

Bill

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: 2.5D-ish possible with Red?
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 10:45:57 am

CAn you explain more what you are trying to accomplish.

thanks

Return to posts index

WilliamBusbyRe: 2.5D-ish possible with Red?
by on Jun 12, 2007 at 6:13:22 pm

Sorry Mark. I thought "2.5D" had become the standardized coined term for this :)

Everyone has seen this technique, I'm sure. Example, the opening of HBO's now defunct series, Carnivale http://tinyurl.com/3bl7v9 or from a site from a friend of mine (they use AE extensively, which I don't, but should learn) http://www.boulevardvideo.com/dapa/dapa.html

Of course nowhere near this elaborate. Maybe 5 layers at the most. I'd like to be able to move within certain element layers on XYZ axis, whether they're elements prepared in Photoshop, or text in Red.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2007 at 6:17:33 pm

Sorry Mark. I thought "2.5D" had become the standardized coined term for this :)

Everyone has seen this technique, I'm sure. Example, the opening of HBO's now defunct series, Carnivale.

I tried to post a url & I suppose that's a no-no here. Silly :-

Of course nowhere near this elaborate. Maybe 5 layers at the most. I'd like to be able to move within certain element layers on XYZ axis, whether they're elements prepared in Photoshop, or text in Red.

Thanks,
Bill

Return to posts index

by on Jun 12, 2007 at 6:19:02 pm

Looks as if the 1st one made it through even though the 1st try gave me an error, saying it wasn't posted.

Bill

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: 2.5D-ish possible with Red?
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 10:38:51 am

The best way to work with this in Red is to first bring in the elements onto seperate tracks. If it is a layered PSD file, then you can use the command to seperate the file into layers.

Next, take all of these tracks and drop them into a 3d container. Now you will want to set the container to z-space for the renderer. Now start positioning the tracks in 3d space using the position parameters. You will definately want to offset some layers in z-position otherwise you will not be able feel the perspective. Now click on the container track and in the controls window go over to the camera tab. Now start playing with the camera and have fun.

This is something that can definately be done in Red.

Mark

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2007 at 8:12:49 pm

Thanks Mark. I'll give it a go when time permits.

Thanks again
Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]