BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Red aspect ratios

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave GroenierRed aspect ratios
by on Jun 8, 2007 at 5:02:37 pm

I am a long time user of RED with Avid but am new to it in FCS2. Within Avid, the RED plug-in automatically took the same aspect as the Avid project (usually 16:9).

But in FCP when I work in 16:9 anamorphic and use the RED plug in it defaults to 4:3 and greys out the aspect selector so I can't force it to conform. As a result my graphics look stretched and blocky when I go back to my FCP timeline. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Flip8600Re: Red aspect ratios
by on Jun 11, 2007 at 6:30:57 pm

Try this:
- apply RED fresh to a new 16x9 clip
- enter RED and enable Preview with Square Pixels from the Preview menu
- import graphics and create your effect
- apply back to FCP and check the result

There have been times where I've seen a distorted image in the FCP canvas but get correct output to NTSC monitor. Check that as well.

Also, historically there have been a correlation between the settings in the FCP Canvas window and how the image gets passed to RED. For instance: if you change the FCP canvas to not Show as Sq. Pixels from the zoom drop down menu RED may get the wrong aspect ratio.

Let me know if this works or if you see something different.

Return to posts index

theBorisRe: Red aspect ratios
by on Jun 13, 2007 at 1:41:47 pm

In Final Cut as in Avid the project aspect ratio in RED is locked to the host project properties. To work with imported graphics go to the media tab in Control window (make sure that the media track representing that graphics is selected in timeline). There is a media aspect pop up in that tab. It gives you a choice of how to interpret the imported media. Select square pixels if your graphics origiated in photoshop or is a digital photo scan.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Dave GroenierRe: Red aspect ratios
by on Jun 14, 2007 at 4:13:54 am

Thanks, Flip, I'll give it a look. I remember seeing that option somewhere but not lately. It's not just an imported graphic but also RED's text that's getting stretched. It looks jaggier too on the output monitor. In the end no one but me will be the wiser but I don't like working in Boris with a squished picture, and I have come to expect razor sharp text from RED, so hopefully that'll do it.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave GroenierRe: Red aspect ratios
by on Jun 14, 2007 at 6:44:24 pm

Ahhh. Preview with sq pixels needs to be checked in both FCP Canvas and Red. I never even noticed that it's checked on my Avid system, it's been years since I messed with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved